Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young by Jack…

Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Marc Tolon Brown (Illustrator)

Summary:

Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young is a fun and enjoyable book for many young children. It’s wonderfully bright and movement like illustrations are lively among each page. The book incorporates many different kinds of poems and sing-a-longs about various topics that would all be relatable and fun for young children. Each page is different, but offers various poems in all corners and sides of the book. The book starts off with a morning poem, ventures throughout with many different poems about animals, things children do, places they go, different adventures, etc. and then ends with a goodnight poem. On each page the author starts a new topic, but many of the poems on that page coincide with one another. For example, one page might be about rain, so therefore each poem on that page has something to do with rainy days, mud, the sun after the rain, wind, etc.

Comments (opinions/arguments):

I really enjoyed this particular children’s poetry picture book because of the illustrations and multiple poems on each page. I like that all of the poems are particularly short, but that the author also incorporates a few longer ones to challenge children. This book makes me think of everything that might go on in a child’s head in one day. I like that it starts with a good morning poem and then goes in every direction of a child’s possible day and everything they might see, do and experience. Then it ends with calming evening poems and finally a good night poem to put them to bed. I think this book could be the type of thing where a parent lets their child read one poem to them before bed. Although there doesn’t seem to be one central message throughout this book, I think it’s meant to help children think about their everyday life and what could be incorporated or imagined. I think it’s meant to keep children wondering and being imaginative about their lives. I also really like that the author changes the subject on each page, but keeps all of the poems on each page about the particular subject. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Dec 3, 2014 |
This is a book that could be read to younger students or have young students read aloud. It is fun and silly which is great for young kids. ( )
  afussell | Nov 27, 2013 |
Read-aloud rhymes for the very young by Jack Prelutsky
Explains why reading and the mother's voice are so calming to a child. So many very funny
rhymes some from Dr. Seuss and from many others. I've heard some but using other words to rhyme the poem to.
It's so important to read to a child, it's the greatest gift you can give them. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 28, 2013 |
This book is full of poems that appeal to children with child-friendly topics and wonderful illustrations. This would be great for children who are interested in rhymes. This book would also work as a great time filler for those few moments between activities in the classroom.
  AmyLu | Dec 10, 2012 |
I love Poetry. This is a great collection that my students beg for me to read every morning. ( )
  weeksie50 | Dec 7, 2010 |

Prelutsky, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, Marc TolonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This book hits the nail on the head in terms of poetry for young children. Topics addressed are concrete and based in real experiences that children have all the time, and the poets featured in this extensive anthology are known for the quality of their work. Marc Brown's illustrations soften the edges and create visual space around individual poems. A must-have for anyone who wants to expose early learners to poetry.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394872185, Hardcover)

Poems about picnics, pretending, and puppies make this book the book to introduce little ones to poetry about the world around them. Jack Prelutsky, one of today's most respected children's poets, has selected more than 200 short poems--old favorites, traditional rhymes, and humorous verses--that will delight young listeners. The poems cover a wide range of experiences in a young child's life, from everyday events to special days to the world of the imagination.

Marc Brown, author and illustrator of the popular Arthur series, uses colored-pencil illustrations and borders to unify the poems, helping to create a pleasing, lively collection to carry children from their preschool years into the early elementary grades. As Jim Trelease tells us in his introduction to the book, "Unlike the toys we buy our children, poems cannot break." (Ages 2 to 7)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:27 -0400)

A collection of more than 200 short poems by both known and anonymous American and English authors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible