The Girls by Lori Lansens

The Girls (2005)

by Lori Lansens

The girls, Rose and Ruby Darlen, were born joined at the head in a rural farming community in 1974. Abandoned by their frightened teenage mother, they are adopted by the eccentric nurse who attended their birth, and her husband, a gentle immigrant butcher.

English (132)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (137)
This is a fictional memoir of conjoined twins, sad and sweet. It is also the love story of their adoptive parents. Each twin writes her own part and part of the fascination is how two people joined at the head can still see events so differently. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This story of craniopagus twins born in a tornado in Southwestern Ontario was fun and sad and unusual and fascinating all at once. It is written from the perspective of both twins and I hugely admire Lansens's ability to write in two distinctly different voices. It was an enjoyable read and the backdrop of rural southwestern Ontario was one I particularly enjoyed. Occasionally, the writing slipped into the predictable and well, sloppy - a move which could have been a distinct choice since the main character expresses concern about writing sloppily - and towards the end, the story becomes a little tedious. But, all in all, it was an enjoyable read, the kind of book that makes you feel like you should strive to be a better, stronger person. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Oh my goodness. This book was UNBELIEVABLE! I initially picked it up because of its jaw-dropping concept (conjoined twins) but I fell in love with this book because of the fundamental joy brought forth from the sadness of the imagined situation. An absolutely magnificent novel! ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I am very late to the Lori Lansens party. All my Canadian friends read this book last year, and I had only heard great feedback. I was reluctant to read it because it sounded sappy. I was curious, in a "look at the car-accident" way, to learn about the day-to-day challenges of conjoined twins. Those details are laid out for the reader, but more than that is the wonderful story of sisters, a family, and a small town.

The girls each have very distinct personalities, they venture out in the world and make a life in their town and, without giving away any spoilers, experience the joys and the heartbreak of growing up.

This is a beautiful, but never sappy story, told by a wonderful writer. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I loved this story! I had no idea was it was about until I started reading it. It was funny and sad at times. The story of conjoined twins but really with separate lives within their story. ( )
  Samqua | May 8, 2018 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

For my mother and father
I have never looked into my sister's eyes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,673,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible