The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll by…

The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll

by Patricia McKissack

3.5 Stars
  shyleigh | Dec 4, 2013 |
Personal Response:

I thought this was a great story with a wonderful message. I think that it would be a good perspective for today's kids. Kids today wouldn't even be able to fathom the idea of three kids sharing one gift, and two of the kids just surrendering the gift to their sister (maybe a bit too unrealistic????). Nevertheless, I loved this book!

School/Library uses:

I love to read Christmas books during the Christmas season to my school library groups, this would be a great book for school or public library read alouds. ( )
  NMkimdykstra | Jul 16, 2010 |
The family is oh-so poor, but it’s Christmas and the three girls desperately want a Baby Betty doll. Best part: Sharing is more fun than hoarding. Ages 6-10. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
This Christmas book concerns a family with three young girls; one of them wishes very hard for a store-bought doll even though it's during the depression and the family doesn't have much money. Her father is able to surprise the girls with the doll on Christmas morning - but who gets to own the doll?

I ended up really liking the illustrations in this title. The faces of the characters were so distinct and mobile. The characters are what stood out; sometimes the rest of the scenery was barely sketched in. It creates a lot of visual interest and engagement with the book.

One plot element that I questioned was the father giving the girls a doll, and then, when one of them claims it for herself and doesn't want to share, he basically tells them - "work it out for yourselves," or something. I mean, ultimately the girl realizes that it's more fun to play with the doll if they all share it, so maybe part of the point is that the father is just giving them space to make the right ethical/moral choice. But it still seemed sort of mean and odd of the father to just leave the other two girls hanging once the doll had been claimed by their sister.

But it was an engaging story with lovely illustrations. The text is a little too intensive for a storytime, but the book would be great to share one on one. ( )
  allawishus | Jan 28, 2010 |
Its the depression and 3 sisters are thinking about Santy Claus. 2 don't think he will come this year, but the youngest does and even writes a secret letter ot him asking for a doll. Then when Christmas comes and she gets all she ever wanted it tuns out she already had the best present right there within her sisters. The pictures are beautiful and they help in the telling of the story. This is told in the first person and is fiction but based on a story the author heard.
  sroeck | Apr 11, 2009 |

It's Christmas and Nella is beside herself with excitement! She and her sisters have been given a real gift—a beautiful Baby Betty doll. But it's hard to share something you've waited your whole seven-year-old life for, and Nella grabs the doll for herself. It isn't long before she discovers that a doll can't do the fun things she and her sisters do together. So, as Christmas day fades, Nella shares it with her sisters. Set in the Depression era South, here's a heartwarming story that captures the essence of the holiday.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

During the Depression, three young sisters get one baby doll for Christmas and must find a way to share.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible