The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll by…

The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll

by Patricia McKissack

My personal response to the book: The book was excellent. I would like to see the library acquire this for the collection.
Curricular connections: The curricular connections include Christmas, African Americans, the depression and sharing. A TL could showcase this book during December and the Christmas holiday. It would be a lovely book to showcase on the bookshelves for students to checkout from the library.
  West_Elementary | Jan 13, 2016 |
There are many reasons why I enjoyed this story. This story takes place during the Great Depression and displays a struggling family. I liked the fact that the author made the characters relatable. I could relate to the aspect of having sisters and having to share. My sisters and I would fight over dolls and other things growing up but what I liked most about this story is the lesson inside. The lesson teaches readers to value family over materials. Another aspect of this story that I enjoyed was the illustrations. The illustrator created each page to be full of great detail and color. There was fine detail found in the clothing and setting, drawn with color pencils. The illustrations also showed the emotions of the characters very clearly. The pictures matched to exactly what the text was stating. The illustrator did a tremendous job with matching the text to the images. The main idea of this story focuses on the true meaning of Christmas, which is not the presents, but the people you share Christmas with. ( )
  vharsh1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
3.5 Stars
  shyleigh | Dec 4, 2013 |
Personal Response:

I thought this was a great story with a wonderful message. I think that it would be a good perspective for today's kids. Kids today wouldn't even be able to fathom the idea of three kids sharing one gift, and two of the kids just surrendering the gift to their sister (maybe a bit too unrealistic????). Nevertheless, I loved this book!

School/Library uses:

I love to read Christmas books during the Christmas season to my school library groups, this would be a great book for school or public library read alouds. ( )
  NMkimdykstra | Jul 16, 2010 |
The family is oh-so poor, but it’s Christmas and the three girls desperately want a Baby Betty doll. Best part: Sharing is more fun than hoarding. Ages 6-10. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

It's Christmas and Nella is beside herself with excitement! She and her sisters have been given a real gift—a beautiful Baby Betty doll. But it's hard to share something you've waited your whole seven-year-old life for, and Nella grabs the doll for herself. It isn't long before she discovers that a doll can't do the fun things she and her sisters do together. So, as Christmas day fades, Nella shares it with her sisters. Set in the Depression era South, here's a heartwarming story that captures the essence of the holiday.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:26 -0400)

During the Depression, three young sisters get one baby doll for Christmas and must find a way to share.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,793,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible