The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

The Robe

by Lloyd C. Douglas (Author)

Series: Robe (1)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
I started to read this book on or about Feb 14, 1945. On Feb 17, 1945, I said: "I got a lot read today in The Robe. Not so good. but it is OK, I guess. Simple, I think. It is a story of Jesus. It runs too much according to pattern--the known life of Jesus is woven into the main characters' life. On Feb 19, 1945, I said: "Read a lot in The Robe today. Almost finished". On Feb 19, 1945, I said: Finshed The Robe. OK at the end. But as a whole not good. Ben Hur was better. This book could have made better use of the Bible. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 18, 2012 |
This was a fantastic story that is compelling and draws the reader into a relationship with the characters. Well written and worth the time to read. ( )
  Marcel1972 | May 15, 2012 |
The story of the soldier who gambled for Christ's robe and won a new life
  kijabi1 | Jan 4, 2012 |
This is the best book I've ever read (excluding the Bible) and I have to say I'd recommend it to anyone. The writing can be a little dull, and there aren't any picturesnor is there an excess of white space, but it has really good humor and illuminates so much about the teachings of Jesus. Even if you aren't a Christian I'd still recommend it. ( )
  LCoale1 | Dec 10, 2011 |

Douglas, Lloyd C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greeley, Andrew M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langston, StuartNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Dedicated with appreciation to Hazel McCann, who wondered what became of The Robe.
Because she was only fifteen and busy with her growing up, Lucia's periods of reflection were brief and infrequent; but this morning she felt weighted with responsibility.

A Roman soldier, Marcellus, wins Christ's robe as a gambling prize. He then sets forth on a quest to find the truth about the Nazarene's robe-a quest that reaches to the very roots and heart of Christianity and is set against the vividly limned background of ancient Rome. Here is a timeless story of adventure, faith, and romance, a tale of spiritual longing and ultimate redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:32 -0400)

Christ's robe has a strange effect on the pagan soldier who wins it in a dice game after the Crucifixion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible