The Art of Fiction by John Gardner

The Art of Fiction (1983)

by John Gardner

1,520254,857 (4.02)18

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All (25)
Subtitled 'Notes on Craft for Young Writers,' this excellent resource will resonate with writers of any age. Gardner's passion for his topic is palpable; he draws from his own works as well as contemporary and classic novels to show the artifice behind "profluent" fiction. ( )
  DellaWanna | Nov 1, 2016 |
Not his best but still great writing advice. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I'm reading Gardner's "Grendel" right now and I'd say the man knows what he's talking about. Even though this book made me ashamed to be an autodidact, it also gives grand encouragement and good direction. If you liked Stephen King's "On Writing", you'll like this. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
There is some stuff in this book that is quite good and compelling, but it is ultimately soured a bit by the fact that Gardner is rather convinced of his own genius. By this I mean, he's quite full of himself. This makes it a very annoying and even infuriating book to read at points, though there is much reward to be found in sticking it out. I recommend reading this one over a span of time, in pieces, rather than in one sitting, to allow time to really reflect on what you wish to take from it, as well as to be able to plow through the tougher parts. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jan 1, 2015 |
The snobbish opening nearly scared me off. I was sure I was what Gardner calls an "ignoramus," but I stuck with it and learned some valuable things. I like that he reinforces that successful writing comes after many rounds of revision. Writing is not all fun and games. It's not just telling stories. It's work. It's hard. And it's difficult for every writer, not just me. ( )
  JacobSeifert | Aug 7, 2013 |
To all my creative-writing students, and to all my fellow teachers of creative writing
What the beginning writer ordinarily wants is a set of rules on what to do and what not to do in writing fiction.

This classic guide, from the renowned novelist and professor, has helped transform generations of aspiring writers into masterful writers—and will continue to do so for many years to come.

John Gardner was almost as famous as a teacher of creative writing as he was for his own works. In this practical, instructive handbook, based on the courses and seminars that he gave, he explains, simply and cogently, the principles and techniques of good writing. Gardner’s lessons, exemplified with detailed excerpts from classic works of literature, sweep across a complete range of topics—from the nature of aesthetics to the shape of a refined sentence. Written with passion, precision, and a deep respect for the art of writing, Gardner’s book serves by turns as a critic, mentor, and friend. Anyone who has ever thought of taking the step from reader to writer should begin here.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

A guide to writing fiction for young writers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,760,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible