The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie…

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

by Syrie James

Cassandra and Jane: A Jane Austen Novel by Jill Pitkeathley (baobhansidhe)
    Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are written with a similar conceit - Jane's diaries found and footnoted by the editor/author. "Unpleasantness" has Jane solving a murder mystery to clear her friend, while "Lost Memoirs" delves into the possible romance that inspired Austen's greatest works.… (more)
    Just Jane by Nancy Moser (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another wonderful novel based on the life of Austen -- this time with a wonderful, believable love interest.

This was a very different read for me than I am used to. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author did a great job of weaving together fact and fiction. I could easily see the story from that time period, and allow myself to imagine Jane Austen actually writing the story. Of course, I'm not a history expert, so there may have been inconsistencies which I didn't notice - I felt it was true to the time period. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
After being hidden for hundreds of years in an old chest in an attic at historic Chawton Cottage, the memoirs of Jane Austen were discovered and printed, shedding light on a life-changing romance that Jane revealed to only her closest family members. Could this relationship have inspired scenes and characters for her beloved novels? Read Jane’s own thoughts on her experience and what ultimately lead to her revising and striving to publish her first novel, Sense and Sensibility.

This is a fiction memoir, treated as a lost manuscript in the same vein as Pride and Promiscuity, though of course without the ridiculous sexy bits. I found it to be a quick, entertaining read, though I don’t think there’s anything particularly special about it. There’s nothing wrong with it either, but it didn’t grip me the way Jane's actual work does and James's writing was…well…fine.

The plot is a blend of true events from Jane’s life, fictional happenings and little references to her novels, through characters or scenes. For instance, in this book Jane meets a parson whose behavior is so ridiculous that she decides to base a character off him (Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice). Her own relationship in this novel mirrors parts of that between Elizabeth and Darcy, as well as Elinor and Edward and Marianne and Willoughby.

This book is a pleasant little nod to Jane’s life and her fiction. It has inspired me to read some more biographical pieces about her (perhaps for next year’s Austen Month!) and I think fans of her work will enjoy this book (perhaps especially the reference to her lack of kisses at the end of her novel and James’s answer to this). ( )
  MillieHennessy | Feb 14, 2016 |
This work takes known facts from Jane Austen's life and combines them with a great imagination. It tells the story of how Jane Austen almost got married to the man of her dreams. The most fun and creative part of the book is how familiar situations and characters from Jane Austen's work (with different names of course) weave their way into the tale and become inspiration for characters, places and plot lines we know and love (or hate)like Mr. Collins, Pemberly and the oh so awkward scene in Pride and Prejuidice where Mr. Darcy finds Elizabeth Bennet touring his home. Fans of Jane Austen will love this work for making the much beloved author come alive. ( )

Syrie Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, StinaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gergely, AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterzon-Kotte, SaskiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband Bill, my own Mr. Ashford, whose love makes me complete, and whose support and encouragement have made it possible for me to enjoy this wonderful life as a writer...To my sons Ryan and Jeff, my finest creations, whose insightful input and animated conversations keep me on my creative and intellectual toes. I could not be prouder...To Jane Austen, with admiration, appreciation, and respect...To my agent Tamar Ellman, and my editor, Lucia Marco, whose dedication to and enthusiasm for this project cannot be measured...Thank you with all y heart. You prove to me, on a daily basis, that all things are possible.
Why I feel the sudden urge to relate, in pen and ink, a relationship of the most personal nature, which I have never before acknowledged, I cannot say.

Many rumors abound about a mysterious gentleman said to be the love of Jane's life—finally, the truth may have been found. . . .

What if, hidden in an old attic chest, Jane Austen's memoirs were discovered after hundreds of years? What if those pages revealed the untold story of a life-changing love affair? That's the premise behind this spellbinding novel, which delves into the secrets of Jane Austen's life, giving us untold insights into her mind and heart.

Jane Austen has given up her writing when, on a fateful trip to Lyme, she meets the well-read and charming Mr. Ashford, a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament. Inspired by the people and places around her, and encouraged by his faith in her, Jane begins revising Sense and Sensibility, a book she began years earlier, hoping to be published at last.

Deft and witty, written in a style that echoes Austen's own, this unforgettable novel offers a delightfully possible scenario for the inspiration behind this beloved author's romantic tales. It's a remarkable book, irresistible to anyone who loves Jane Austen—and to anyone who loves a great story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:45 -0400)

What if, hidden in an old attic chest, Jane Austen's memoirs were discovered after hundreds of years? What if those pages revealed the untold story of a life-changing love affair? Jane Austen has given up her writing when, on a fateful trip to Lyme, she meets the well-read and charming Mr. Ashford, a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament. Inspired by the people and places around her, and encouraged by his faith in her, Jane begins revising Sense and sensibility, a book she began years earlier, hoping to be published at last.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,520,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible