One Good Knight by Mercedes Lackey
Recently added bydimarcos, private library, JCJPINK, TraciDeStena, crankybookwyrm, CindyBooks, Tiffani_Keaton

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
All Princess Andromeda really wants to do is to be useful to her mother, the queen. Problem is, her mother doesn't seem to realise that Andie is competent at anything, and she marginalises Andie's accomplishments. It also doesn't exactly help matters that Andie is half-blind without her glasses, or that she doesn't exactly fit the standard for Acacian beauty (especially when compared to her mother, who is gorgeous).

I was able to identify reasonably well with Andromeda as a character, and I enjoyed the various twists on the story (even if they were telegraphed fairly clearly...which is actually something of the point in this series--the more you know The Tradition the better able you are to work with or around it. At the very least, you will be able to figure out what's going on to a greater degree).

The conclusion elements of the story seem just a little bit rushed, but given the type of book this wasn't exactly unexpected. All in all I classify this as a light, fun read. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
This was an enjoyable book, but hindered some by the fact that I read it after book #3. So I knew one of the major plot twists before the book was barely more than half-way through.

However, it is a fun read, and I do enjoy seeing how Lackey tweaks traditional fairy tales to create these stories. I might have given it a 3.5 star rating if that was allowed, but 4 is close enough. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
Andromeda is a princess, and is very smart. Her mother keeps her at a distance and doesn’t really want her learning too much, including how to govern. When the kingdom is threatened by a dragon, they decide to offer sacrificial virgins to appease it.

I mostly enjoyed it, but it was a bit odd and had a definite weird ending. I’m not sure if I want to continue the series, but since they all seem to be about different characters, I think I will. I think the series is really just the same “world”. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 2, 2017 |
Ah, I'm a sucker for a clever spin on classic fairy tales, so after enjoying the first in this series, [b:The Fairy Godmother|13982|The Fairy Godmother (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #1)|Mercedes Lackey|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255579675s/13982.jpg|16082], and finding that my library has them all, I just had to get this.

It reads just a little younger - not so steamy, and shorter. And it does stand alone (though there are references to the first book). Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I thought it was sweet, smart, fun, and satisfying. It plays with the cliches, doesn't pander to them. And the plucky heroine is far from perfect - making her an authentic potential role model for 15 year-old girls. (The first book is better for ages 17 up.)

I will be reading the rest, though not right away. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked this even better than the first one... easy, imaginative fairytale fiction. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Dedicated to the memory of Andre Norton,
friend, exemplar, and mentor.
Princess Andromeda stood on the very edge of a ledge three-quarters of the way up the cliff above the Royal Palace of her mother, Queen Cassiopeia of Acadia, holding out her arms to the wind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802609, Mass Market Paperback)

When a dragon storms the castle, what should a (virgin) princess do?

Why, turn to her studies, of course! But nothing practical-minded Princess Andromeda of Acadia finds gives a definitive solution. The only Traditional answer, though, is soothing the marauding dragon by a virgin sacrifice. Things are going fairly smoothly with the lottery -- except for the women chosen, of course -- until Princess Andromeda herself is picked!

But facing down the dragon doesn't go quite as planned, and now, with the help of her Champion, Sir George, Andromeda searches for the dragon's lair. But even -- especially -- in the Five Hundred Kingdoms, bucking Tradition isn't easy. It takes the strongest of wills, knowledge, quick wits and a refusal to give up, no matter what happens along the way . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

When a champion arrives in the form of Sir George, who sort of defeats the dragon, former virgin sacrifice Princess Andromeda, along with her bumbling savior, must find the dragon's lair and destroy it before the Five Hundred Kingdoms bear the brunt of the beast's wrath.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible