The Keeper of the Isis Light by Monica…

The Keeper of the Isis Light (1980)

by Monica Hughes

Series: The Isis Trilogy (1)

Another young adult science fiction book that was easy to read within a couple of hours. I liked the story idea, but the execution was too sanitized, even for a young teen. (September 15, 2005) - also it looks like I read it back in 1982 and forgot it... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
After her parents died in a freak storm, Olwen has grown up alone on the alien world of Isis. She spends her days roaming the planet she considers her own. The only person she speaks to is the Guardian of Isis. But at last, colonists are coming to Isis.

This book feels very dated. The style of writing, the gender norms, the tech, all felt very golden-age scifi. Additionally, the OMG PLOT TWISTs are excrutiatingly obvious. Once they're out of the way, the story improves. Overall, I did quite like this story. Although Olwen is almost excessively feminine in some ways, she is also incredibly physically courageous (fans of Cashore's [b:Graceling|3236307|Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1)|Kristin Cashore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1281303183s/3236307.jpg|3270810] will appreciate her) and self-sufficient. And most of all, I love the basic message of this book: that being yourself and free is worth more than romance or even companionship. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This was my favorite book as a kid. It held up well: the perfectly timed build-up of the plot, the vivid and beautiful descriptions of a high desert world, and the believability of the main character were all as riveting as they seemed when I was ten. Though the book deals with Serious Issues, as young adult books do, it doesn't offer any simple solutions, and the resolution, though quietly satisfying, isn't quite the happy ending you'd expect. It offers a moral lesson I enjoyed as much this time as the first: sometimes people suck, and it's best to just go live in a cave.

paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
Read it so long ago, I can hardly even remember it, but I used to really like Monica Hughes and a member recommended it, so I decided to add it to my collection. ( )
  JRlibrary | Mar 13, 2010 |
a re-read from childhood
  surlyspice | Jan 10, 2010 |

Monica Hughesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Call, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a day like any other on Isis, and yet, when it was over, nothing would ever be the same again.

It was her tenth birthday on Isis. By Earth years, she would be sixteen. But Olwen Pendennis had never been to Earth. She had been born on Isis. And since her parents' death, she had lived there alone, manning the Isis Light -- a "lighthouse" in space designed to aid ships, and to bring settlers from Earth.

And now, on the day of her tenth year, the settlers are coming at last. Olwen is ready to welcome them, but are they ready for her? She was once human, like them. But the harsh climate of the alien planet has changed her, transformed her into something else -- something the settlers could never be prepared for...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:21 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Olwen, who lives alone on the planet Isis with her faithful robot, falls tragically in love with an arrival from earth who is unaware that her natural form has been hidden in a humanlike space suit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,491,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible