Manic: A Memoir by Terri Cheney

Manic: A Memoir

by Terri Cheney

A beautifully written book that tells stories about being a manic-depressive. Terri's language is so wonderful. The stories written so it puts you right there in her skin. A good read! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 27, 2017 |
Very interesting story. Provides insights into what she has gone through.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
A memoir of a woman's life while living with bipolar disorder. Since I have seen my brother go through manic and depressed phases I thought it would be interesting to read this book. You get a first hand account of mental illness. Though you don't read much about how her illness has affected those around her. The chapters are not in chronological order because she wanted the book to mirror her disease which is chaotic and unpredictable. This isn't a book that you say you enjoy, but I am glad that I read it. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
As a parent to a child with both developmental and learning disabilities, I am constantly seeking resources that will enhance my daughter’s quality of life. With her recent diagnosis of mood disorder co-morbid severe ADHD (age 8) we are already looking into the possible diagnosis of bi-polar when she is older. After countless hours at the psychiatrist’s office and the diagnostic center, I can only imagine what the future might be for her. I am both scared and hopeful that she might have a productive life. However, I realize that we are going to have one hell of a ride ahead of us in the future. As of now I am embracing her diagnosis rather than running away and looking for ways to prepare for the future. This book is one of those ways. I enjoy reading book about how a person can take their demons and conquer them to the point of control and have a fairly normal life.

This book was an intense read and was very hard to pick up at times. The opening chapter was the toughest believe it or not for me. The lack of control, impulsive, super hyper, manic mood swings; all reminded me of my own child and this broke my heart. This book might seem difficult for others to read since the author is in the Hollywood environment and is somewhat glamorous. However, I would ask the readers to look beyond that and see the importance of the message. The idea that one can survive and live with bi-polar disorder is something to celebrate. The struggles that these souls have to go through is horrible and the author gives the reader a small window of what that is like. As a parent to a special needs child I have to recommend this book to the special needs community. It is worth your time and please read it all the way through. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel even when we can’t see it. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Aug 14, 2014 |
While I think the book was well written, I think it tended to over sensationalize suicide attempts and manic highs. (Not that I don't believe they were bad). I thought it did an excellent job of describing mixed states. I would have liked more information however about Terri's stable or hypomanic times in between episodes when she actually was able to go to school and work everyday. Yes it was probably important to know she was forced to pee the bed while institutionalized but I think it would have been important to know more about her coping with the illness skills too. Maybe a Memoir Part 2. ( )
  rxtheresa | Mar 18, 2014 |
To my mother and father
PREFACE: If you come with me on this journey, I think a word of warning is on order: manic depression is not a safe ride.

CHAPTER 1: I didn't tell anyone that I was going to Santa Fe to kill myself.

An attractive, highly successful Beverly Hills entertainment lawyer, Terri Cheney had been battling debilitating bipolar disorder for the better part of her life—and concealing a pharmacy’s worth of prescription drugs meant to stabilize her moods and make her "normal." In explosive bursts of prose that mirror the devastating mania and extreme despair of her illness, Cheney describes her roller-coaster existence with shocking honesty, giving brilliant voice to the previously unarticulated madness she endured. Brave, electrifying, poignant, and disturbing, Manic does not simply explain bipolar disorder—it takes us into its grasp and does not let go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

On the outside, Terri Cheney was a successful, attractive Beverly Hills entertainment lawyer. But behind her seemingly flawless fa?cade lay a dangerous secret--for most of her life Cheney had been battling bipolar disorder and concealing a pharmacy's worth of prescriptions meant to make her "normal." Cheney describes her roller-coaster life with shocking honesty--from glamorous parties to a night in jail; from flying fourteen kites off the edge of a cliff in a thunderstorm to crying beneath her office desk; from electroshock therapy to a suicide attempt fueled by tequila and prescription painkillers. The events unfold episodically, from mood to mood, the way she lived and remembers life. In this way the reader is able to viscerally experience the incredible speeding highs of mania and the crushing blows of depression. This book does not simply explain bipolar disorder--it takes us in its grasp and does not let go.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terri Cheney's book Manic: A Memoir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible