The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley…

The Memory of Whiteness (1985)

by Kim Stanley Robinson

ZB5
  mcolpitts | Aug 1, 2009 |
It was ok but very hard to follow maybe ok for philosophical purposes but I did not get that too much.

Started out ok however ended up being too vague a story line to follow for me. ( )
  marysneedle | Jul 23, 2009 |
Robinson is one of the greatest living writers of science-based fiction, and one of my very favorite novelists. This novel displays to the full his almost unique ability to make the reader appreciate the vast historical sweep behind even the most mundane events. ( )
  wanack | Jun 28, 2008 |
Set about a thousand years in the future, this space opera follows the story of famous musician Johannes Wright as he embarks on a grand tour of the solar system, progressing from Pluto to Mercury and beset along the way by sabotage and assassination attempts by a mysterious cult known as "the Greys."

This book was obviously a breeding ground for ideas Robinson later used in his more famous Mars Trilogy, but it also stands on its own as a cool little novel that works with a number of different themes. As usual with Robinson, advanced scientific theories rear their ugly heads (even in discussions about music), but you can hardly fault him for being true to the genre's name. Personally I found the most interesting parts to revolve around the character of Dent Ios, a journalist who falls in with the tour and later aids the chief of security in unravelling the mystery surrounding the Greys, despite his inexperience and incompetence. The ending also came to a rather cinematic climax, which pandered to my tastes perfectly well. ( )
  edgeworth | Mar 24, 2008 |
i liked this one quite a lot. quite different from Robinson's usual story. it's a far future sf, vividly set on a space opera stage. makes me think of stuff like Keith Roberts' Pavane, that kind of story, though it's easy enough to see Jack Vance in it too. the worlds are interesting, but the big deal is the main conceit: a galactic culture based on music, the nature of the interface between the audience and the work, and the nature and influence of artistic principles in engendering change. art, then, is always in the best sense revolutionary. starts with an Einstein quote: "It is the theory which decides what we can observe." and the whole thing, the physics of the whole culture, the diversity of models idea can generate, and the sort of synesthesia shorthand by which the idea moves out from the work, it's all a series of riffs on that one quote. nice. ( )
  macha | Aug 4, 2007 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergeron, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is theory which decides whatt we can observe.

- Albert Einstein
Now all my life forces my flight through the streets of Lowell, and I run from alley to commons to alley like a rat pursued through a maze.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312861435, Paperback)

Arthur Holywelkin, a brilliant physicist, devoted the last years of his life to creating a strange, beautiful musical instrument called The Orchestra. Hundreds of years later, in a universe centered around music, Johannes Wright is chosen as the Ninth Master of Holywelkin's Orchestra. Wright must travel the solar system pursued by enemies in the name of a destiny he understands only imperfectly.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,951,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible