A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little…

A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of… (2008)

by James Donovan

280940,328 (4)6

This is a fascinating, detailed account of the events that led up and that occurred during the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I have read several books about these events, but I would rate this my first choice. I highly recommend it. ( )
  proflinton | Sep 11, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this. I've read other books on this battle, so I knew in advance what happened (see also - lived in the US my whole life, and generally considered sentient), but Donovan pulls it all together really well. Prior to this, I would have said Son of the Morning Star was my favorite book on this topic, but now I'd have to think about it. SOTMS is more lyrical, more free-ranging, but it really focusses on Custer. Terrible Glory gives us the other officers - Keogh, Benteen and Reno particularly, but not exclusively - with enough detail to give their place on the battlefield and the decisions they made there some context. He also goes into some detail about what happened to the major characters after the battle. Sadly, no one seems to have ended well, withe the possible exception of Libby Custer. She never remarried, even though she was still young, and spent her life campaigning for Custer's reputation, but she was sucessful, travelled widely, was respected and liked even by people who despised her husband, and died wealthy. At this point, I'm thinking that a biography of Libby would be well worth reading.

Highly recommended. ( )
  teckelvik | Jul 30, 2013 |
This is an excellent book in all respects, brilliantly structured and written. Extensively noted, almost exhaustively so, but the notes are definitely worth the reading, some are as fascinating as the main text. The author's decision to include a detailed look at the campaign as well as the battle is a great help to better understanding why things happened as they did. To anyone looking to read up on this battle, whether for casual reading or academic study, this book is the best place to start. ( )
  jztemple | Apr 12, 2013 |
This excellent book is the latest and most comprehensive treatment of the Battle of the Little Bighorn. It incorporates the newest forensic finds, includes much first hand information from the Native Americans involved in the battle, and traces the fates of not just the major players in the drama, but also every minor character that has even a scrap of information available.

The book is thorough and very readable. I felt I knew these people, smelled the sweat of the riders, heard the crash of battle while I stood on the hillside with Benteen and Reno and did nothing.

The bibliography is extensive, and the chapter notes are most thorough. In fact, I ended up using two bookmarks - one for my place in the text, and one in the Notes section to keep abreast of the citations and additional information the author added.

The book also covers in detail the hearings and the coverup in the aftermath of the battle. In addition, the author details the Wounded Knee Massacre and its connections with the Little Bighorn Battle. Thorough, well-supported, minutely detailed, but readable and exciting. Highly recommended. ( )
  MerryMary | Feb 18, 2013 |
Thorough, and seemingly unbiased, account of Custer, his background and the battle that ended his career and lif.
  wESTERNER | Oct 30, 2009 |
To my mother, Alyce Helen Carmen, who nightly from an old black binder read her favorite story poems, hand-copied, to her four children: "The boy stood on the burning deck..."
The night was pitch-black and cool as the small party of scouts reined their horses off the creek and up into the hidden hollow between the hills.

In June of 1876, on a desolate hill above a winding river called "the Little Bighorn," George Armstrong Custer and all 210 men under his direct command were annihilated by almost 2,000 Sioux and Cheyenne. The news of this devastating loss caused a public uproar, and those in positions of power promptly began to point fingers in order to avoid responsibility. Custer, who was conveniently dead, took the brunt of the blame.

The truth, however, was far more complex. A TERRIBLE GLORY is the first book to relate the entire story of this endlessly fascinating battle, and the first to call upon all the significant research and findings of the past twenty-five years--which have changed significantly how this controversial event is perceived. Furthermore, it is the first book to bring to light the details of the U.S. Army cover-up--and unravel one of the greatest mysteries in U.S. military history.

Scrupulously researched, A TERRIBLE GLORY will stand as ta landmark work. Brimming with authentic detail and an unforgettable cast of characters--from Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse to Ulysses Grant and Custer himself--this is history with the sweep of a great novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:02 -0400)

In June of 1876, on a desolate hill above a winding river called "the Little Bighorn," George Armstrong Custer and all 210 men under his command were annihilated by almost 2,000 Sioux and Cheyenne. The news caused a public uproar, and those in positions of power promptly began to point fingers in order to avoid responsibility. Custer, who was conveniently dead, took the brunt of the blame. The truth, however, was far more complex. This is the first book to relate the entire story, and the first to call upon all the research and findings of the past 25 years--which have changed significantly how this controversial event is perceived. It is also the first book to bring to light the details of the U.S. Army cover-up--and unravel one of the greatest mysteries in U.S. military history.--From publisher description.… (more)

37 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,914,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible