Little Bear's Friend by Else Holmelund…

Little Bear's Friend (1960)

by Else Holmelund Minarik

Other authors: Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

Series: Little Bear (3), I Can Read Books (Level 1)

Little Bear’s Friend
This book is about a bear who is exploring and runs into a little girl and her doll. They talk and become friends and hang out. They play all sorts of games together and teach each other new things. Eventually they have to say goodbye to one another because the girl called Emily has to go to school. Then Little bear learns how to write and writes to her. I liked this book for two main reasons. On reason is the story is very interesting. I tells a story of a girl and a little bear on a walk through a forest playing together. It is not a common story and I thought it was cool to see a new story. The second reason I liked the book was its pictures displayed what was going on perfectly. If the text conveyed an emotion then the characters in the pictures conveyed the same emotions. I thought this was good because while I’m reading I sometimes drift to looking at pictures and these picture told that same story as the words. The message of this book is that no matter how different you are from someone else you can be friends with them. In conclusion I liked this book because the story was unique and the pictures conveyed the meaning of the story very well. ( )
  arifki3 | Mar 22, 2016 |
Little Bear is cute and kind, if somehow literal-minded--and if on the one hand I like that Emily's family are seemingly travelling tinkers or Roma people and it goes unremarked, I'm also a bit queasy about the gender representations here--does Little Bear's father have to be that much home from his job in the City with his hand tucked into his waistcoat, and could his mother perhaps call to mind at least the housewife of 1960 (when this book was written) and not 1860 with her dress that looks like a nightgown or her nightgown that looks like a dress? Shame, Maurice Sendak. But this is sweet. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Dec 4, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 16, 2014 |
Little Bear establishes a new friendship with Emily throughout the summer. When Emily leaves at the end of the summer Little Bear writes her a letter to stay in touch. This book is wonderful for new readers because it addresses learning to read and write along with learning how to make friends. The animals provide diversity amongst the main characters, similar to the diversity in the human race. In my own personal opinion, this book warms the heart because of it's charm and innocence. This book would be good for a beginning reader or for a parent or educator to read aloud to the class. ( )
  natalienichols | Mar 4, 2014 |
Little Bear makes a human friend in this third early reader devoted to his adventures, discovering that allowing new people into one's life can bring both pleasure and sorrow. Like its two predecessors, Little Bear and Father Bear Comes Home, there are four brief stories presented here, beginning with Little Bear and Emily, in which little bear and little girl first meet and become friends. Duck, Baby Sitter sees the two meeting up with Little Bear's anatine friend, on their way to a party; while The Party at Owl's House sees Emily and her doll Lucy being introduced to Little Bear's circle of friends. All things must come to an end, and in Your Friend, Little Bear, our young ursine hero is distraught when Emily must leave at the end of the summer, but comforted by the knowledge that he can keep in touch with her through letter-writing.

First published in 1960, Little Bear's Friend was, together with its four companion volumes, an important part of my childhood library, and I can recall curling up with it on numerous occasions. Text and artwork - supplied by Else Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak, respectively - work together seamlessly in these stories, drawing the young readers in to a fully realized world, one in which the child perspective is treated with respect and depicted with sympathy. As is the case with all of the Little Bear books, I loved the interaction between Little Bear and Mother Bear here - the teasing dialogue and underlying affection - as well as the immensely expressive artwork. Little Bear looks a little softer to me here, for some reason - a little cuter than in the previous two, perhaps? - but his facial expressions are still as droll and winsome as ever!

All in all, a lovely little book, one that I would strongly recommend to beginning readers looking for real stories, rather than reading exercises disguised as stories. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2013 |

Else Holmelund Minarikprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
to mother and father

Little Bear meets Emily, a human girl, and her doll. 'Once again Little Bear proves himself to be as wistful and tender a little creature as exists in the child's library.' -- K.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

"One summer Little Bear makes friends with a girl named Emily. But when summer ends, Emily must leave. Little Bear is very sad--until he finds a way to stay close to his new friend even when she is far away!"--P. [4] of cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible