Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle

Burma Chronicles (2007)

by Guy Delisle

Asia (71)

English (35)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (44)
This graphic novel was completely enjoyable. It chronicles the life of Guy and his son in Burma as they accompany Guy's wife, a doctor for MSF, on her mission there. He shares his experiences as a pampered ex-pat and is able to achieve a fine balance of wonder, amusement and horror through his outside POV. The illustrations are light, and that's what makes the oddity and absurdity of the novel work. He is able to lift the serious issues in the book to a level of awareness the reader should have, but he balances by writing his observations of the day-to-day culture of life under a military junta. He assures us that "people are just people" wherever we are in the world. Eventually, the family leaves the country; but how fortunate for us that Delisle has left behind this chronicle for us all to get a glimpse into this mysterious world. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
The book was worth a few chuckles, but the artwork pales in comparison to better artists such as R. Crumb. Also, the storylines were mostly blah (read, mediocre) and some were absolutely unintelligible, story and art. The location sells this book as mentioned elsewhere because I doubt I would buy this under any other conditions. Does he nail it regarding the atmosphere in the country? A bit and that was worth the few chuckles. I do think he misses a lot that could be emphasized, but maybe that is the nature of his work. I won't be reading any more of his works. A 3/5 was about right, maybe slightly on the positive side. ( )
  untraveller | Jan 17, 2018 |
A really enjoyable year in the region... Thank you Guy for putting it on the board ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
I liked this book, but after having read Jerusalem by him, the whole 'simple tourist in a strange place' was losing its appeal. He would mention something, that would require background to understand, and would then just move on. He spends as much time talking about some simple silly thing as he does with politically and culturally important/interesting subjects. This is all fine and dandy, but I found myself wanting more. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
A sweet, plotless memoir of a year in Myanmar. Because I know nothing about the country, I found it fascinating, but I don't really care for Delisle's art style or weak attempts at humor. Basically, it's the setting that sells this book. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Guy Delisleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dascher, HelgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Nadège
En? Waar sturen ze ons naartoe?
original title: Chroniques Birmanes

Guy Delisle uses a graphic novel format to reflect on the experiences he had while working in a Burma--Myanmar--where his wife's career allowed him to explore Burma's rural and impoverished regions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,848,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible