Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg

Pecos Bill (1986)

by Steven Kellogg

Other authors: Laura Robb (Illustrator)

3rd-5th
The main character is a boy, so it may be more geared toward young boys, or those specifically interested in pioneers or ranching. In this folk tale, there is a great deal of hyperbole and exaggeration. For example, it is not possible to really lasso a tornado, however, Bill does it. Have students identify the difference between what could be true and what is clearly exaggerated. It is important for children to be able to decipher between the two. ( )
  tsmith18 | Mar 30, 2016 |
to be honest, I really did not like this book because it was confusing for me. I would include this book in my classroom library for independent reading. I could use it for sequencing because this book goes through many years of Bill's life. I think boys would enjoy this book more than girls because it is about a cowboy. I could also use this book maybe for a lesson about living as a pioneer. ( )
  SalemSmith | Mar 27, 2016 |
For this book, you need to make sure your students are mature enough to handle the parts of the story where the boy out grows his pants. This is a book that can be used in a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th grade classroom. This book tends to have a lot of words on each page and some of the word choice is different than what students may be used to. Since the story is based out in the west, the word choice reflects that and students may have some trouble understanding or may not be aware of some of those words. This would be a good book to read together as a class since it is a little bit longer in length and a little bit more difficult to read. As you get into older grades, they should be able to read it on their own but you may need to go over some words as a class first to help them understand the story. Before reading the story, it may help to teach students a little bit about the western culture and cowboys. 2nd grade standards: 3, 5 3rd grade standards: 2, 3, 4,
  SarahSchuster | Mar 25, 2016 |
Genre: Folklore, Tall Tale
This story is a tall tale because it is an exaggerated story of a boy who does unbelievable acts that try and explain why something, particularly animals, are the way they are. It was originally a story told by word of mouth and then written down and retold by many authors. I could use this book to introduce tall tales or story telling in my classroom. In my fourth grade class we had presentations of story telling and this would be a fun story to act out and tell to a class. The brighter colors, and running of colors mixed with harsher black lines tells me it is probably a mix of pencil drawings and water color. ( )
  gmorgan14 | Feb 16, 2016 |
Awesome book to teach folktales and hyperbole. I will definitely use in my own classroom, since I am from Texas just like Bill! ( )
  ml925 | Nov 16, 2015 |

Steven Kelloggprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robb, LauraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aida E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jason Castle Edwards - Another Texas Hero
Back in the rugged pioneer days when Pecos Bill was a baby, his kinfolk decided that New England was becoming entirely too crowded, so they piled into covered wagons and headed west.

"The anecdotes associated with Texas's fabled cowboy hero burst from the pages in rapid succession, Kellogg's robust illustrations enlarging and enriching the energetic text."--School Library Journal. "A read-aloud treat....One of Kellogg's best."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

Incidents from the life of Pecos Bill, from his childhood among the coyotes to his unusual wedding day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible