Superfudge by Judy Blume

Superfudge (1980)

by Judy Blume

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
Quite how I managed to miss out on this while my daughters were growing up I do not know, but it was one of their copies of the book that my six year old grand-daughter selected as her bed time story for my weekly child minding slot. It took us three visits to complete possibly elongated by the amount of laughter coming from both of us. I confess to giving a spirited reading, really living the role of the sixth grade narrator, Pee-yah. I am amazed that the subject
matter has barely dated, if you ignore the absence of new technology.
We are now searching for the other books I'm the series, if we cannot find the originals, then repurchase will be essential. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Peter is faced with the twin challenges of a new baby sister and moving to Princeton for a year.

I thought I read this as a kid, when I would have been at least 10 years old, which is surely the target age Blume was aiming for. I have always had fond memories of the Fudge books, and now my 7-year-old son loves them too. We got this book on audio for a long car trip; it's very funny and really captures the feelings of a 6th-grade boy going through some pretty big upheavals in his life. However, if I did read it as a child, I had either forgotten or wasn't that affected by the fact that Blume drops the bomb that Santa is made up in this book. As a reader, I don't blame her; she writes for kids in a way that lets them know that books are wonderful, dangerous things that can reveal truths your parents may not have told you. However, as a parent, I selfishly want my son to believe as long as possible. Fortunately, my husband and I realized what was happening and were able to cut off the audio before the beans were spilled. "Uh, the CD broke!"

Updated: My son liked this so much that he wanted me to read it aloud to him. I elided the troublesome chapter with no noticeable effects. Overall, this is a funny, lighthearted book with a somewhat abrupt ending, not quite as good as the first in the series but better than its successor, Fudge-a-mania. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book is about Peter and his younger brother, Fudge. Fudge is a big pain. Then Peter finds out his mother is going to have another baby. If that baby is anything like Fudge its going to be even worse. To top that off, they decide to move to New Jersey for an entire year. It is hard to make new friends and get used to a new place. I liked this because Peter is an adventurous, risk taking person and he is going to have a younger sister. I can understand how Peter feels about Fudge becasue I have a younger sister. ( )
  myevzlin | Feb 18, 2015 |
This is one of Judy Blume's "fudge" series books.
This realistic fiction novel depicts the adventures and woes of the Hatchers. Peter and Fudge get a new baby sister. The family moves houses and cities. The book depicts the first year of the third child, Tootsie, and her affect on the Hatchers. Judy Blume is a talented and well-known author who gets her young audience; young readers love her novels.
  mollybeaver | Dec 17, 2014 |
Superfudge is a silly novel that any student will enjoy reading. The main character Peter goes through some family struggles as well as funny situations. Some topics may be considered a little mature, so fourth or fifth grade is probably most appropriate to start reading this book.
  adates12 | Dec 17, 2014 |
For Larry, without whom there would be no Fudge, and for all my readers who have asked for another book about him.
Life was going along okay when my mother and father dropped the news.

Nothing is simple for twelve-year-old Peter Hatcher. And nothing drives him up the wall quicker than the off-the-wall antics of his little brother, Farley Drexel Hatcher - otherwise known as Fudge. Calling his new kindergarten teacher 'Rat Face' or wanting to be a bird when he grows up - Fudge hasn't changed a bit since his escapades in Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. According to Peter, Fudge is still the biggest pain ever invented.

And now, as if Fudge weren't trouble enough, there's a new baby on the way and the family is moving to Princeton for a year. Can Peter survive a year away from Sheila Tubman, Jimmy Fargo, and his favorite rock in Central Park? Could anyone survive having the irrepressible Fudge as a brother and a schoolmate? Maybe Superman could - but then, Superman never met Fudge!

Fans young and old will laugh out loud at the irrepressible wit of peter Hatcher, the hilarious antics of mischievous Fudge, and the unbreakable confidence of know-it-all sheila tubman in Judy blume’s five Fudge books. brand-new covers adorn these perennial favorites, and will entice a whole new generation of Fudge—and Judy blume—fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:31 -0400)

Fifth-grader Peter Hatcher's mother is pregnant, his four-year-old brother, Fudge, is a constant embarrassment to his family, and his parents want to move to New Jersey for a year, could life get any worse?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,889,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible