Culture Shift: Engaging Current Issues with…

Culture Shift: Engaging Current Issues with Timeless Truth

by R. Albert Mohler Jr.

Culture Shift is a collection of essays where Mohler addresses some of the current issues with his usual candor and Biblical insights. He addresses abortion, torture, racism and even Hiroshima. He presents issues in a clear manner but is not defensive. He points out inconsistencies in modern thinking and shows he is quite a reader, not just of evangelical thought. I plan on using some of the chapters for discussion in my rhetoric class and omnibus class on Building a Christian Worldview. It gives food for thought much like his radio program and blog but I was disappointed that there wasn't a final chapter that pulled the book together. ( )
  janimar | Jul 9, 2009 |
NCLA Review - Albert Mohler , President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, presents an introduction to Christianity's influence on practical cultural issues today. His ideas and conclusions present a thoughtful, Biblical approach to current issues. The book consists of 20 essays reflecting a Christian view of issues that should concern every American. He points out that we all should be allowed to speak without fear of being eliminated from public debate. “ Aristotle once described our challenge as the problem of a fish in water—the fish never even realizes it is wet. This describes the situation of many Christians in America . They do not even know they are wet. Every day brings cultural messages, controversies, and products. How are Christians to remain faithful as we live in this culture?” The book attempts to assist concerned and intelligent Christians to live as citizens in our modern society. Rating: 3 —GD. 159p, Multnomah 2008, $14.99 [261.09] ( )
  ncla | Feb 22, 2009 |

Table of Contents:

Engaging the city of man : Christian faith and politics -- Christian morality and public law : three secular arguments -- Christian morality and public law : three secular myths -- Christian morality and public law : five theses -- The culture of offendedness : a Christian challenge -- A growing cloud of confusion : the Supreme Court on religion -- All that terror teaches : have we learned anything? -- Torture and the war on terror : on adding dirty rules to dirty hands -- Needed : an exit strategy from public schools : the crisis Christian parents face -- The God gene : bad science meets bad theology -- Are we raising a nation of wimps? : a coddled generation cannot cope -- Hard America, soft America : the battle for America's future -- The post-truth era : welcome to the age of dishonesty -- Is abortion a moral issue? : a fascinating debate on the left -- Who's afraid of the fetus? : how America's abortion debate is changing -- God and the tsunami : theology in the headlines -- God and the tsunami : a Christian response -- Nineveh, New Orleans, and the city of man : an eternal perspective -- Hiroshima and the burden of history : sixty years later -- The content of our character : King's dream and ours.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159052974X, Hardcover)

Are you prepared to address the most challenging cultural issues of your time?

Mass media and technology are exploding. Popular entertainment relentlessly pushes the envelope. Biomedicine stretches ethical boundaries. Political issues shift with the polls.

The world in which you live is in the midst of a major cultural transformation–one leading to a widespread lack of faith, an increase in moral relativism, and a rejection of absolute truth. How are we to remain faithful followers of Christ as we live in this ever-shifting culture? How should we think about–and respond to–the crucial moral questions of our day? How can we stand up for the truth?

In Culture Shift, Dr. R. Albert Mohler–one of today’s leading Christian thinkers and spokespersons–addresses these tough topics clearly, biblically and passionately:

•Christian faith and politics
•The Supreme Court and religion
•The truth about terrorism
•Christian parents and public schools
•The abortion debate
•Christian response to global tragedies
•And many more

Here is trustworthy help for developing a comprehensive Christian worldview. It’s timely information powerfully connected to timeless truth that will equip you to stand strong and speak out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,122,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible