Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s: Martian…

Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s: Martian Time-Slip / Dr. Bloodmoney / Now…

by Philip K. Dick

Other authors: Jonathan Lethem (Editor)

I swear the audiobook narrator is the same guy who told the fate of Freck in the film of A Scanner Darkly! ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
I suppose I might try again some day considering it's a classic, but then again I've so many other worthies on my shelf I probably won't.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
So far I have read only two of these five novels, A Scanner Darkly and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Dick is a true California weirdo. and he captures the essence of that state while giving us memorable sci-fi. ( )
  annbury | Feb 5, 2012 |
Martian Time-Slip

Arnie Kott: ‘... we got the future, and where else do you think things happen except in the future?’ (p. 115)

Martian Time-Slip refers to living in different times instead of present, also past or future.

This novel by Philip K. Dick is set in a colony on Mars and tells the story of Manfred Steiner, an autistic boy who can help other people to live in the past or in the future.
Arnie Kott, leader of the water worker’s union, becomes interested in Manfred because he wants to use Manfred’s skill to predict future in his business ventures.

Martian Time-Slip is a speculative science-fiction novel because Dick doesn’t tell about space ships or other futuristic electronic devices; so who remembers Blade Runner (or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) is crowded out by reading this novel. ( )
  GrazianoRonca | Oct 11, 2010 |
A Scanner Darkly - 4 ( )
  jhale | Nov 15, 2009 |

Philip K. Dickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lethem, JonathanEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

SCIENCE FICTION. A volume collecting five novels that offer a breathtaking overview of the range of this science-fiction master. Philip K. Dick (1928-82) was a writer of incandescent imagination who made and unmade world-systems with ferocious rapidity and unbridled speculative daring. Mixing metaphysics and madness, phantasmagoric visions of a post-nuclear world and invading extraterrestrial authoritarians, and all-too-real evocations of the drugged-out America of the 70s, Dick's work remains exhilarating and unsettling in equal measure.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible