Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace by…

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

by Terry Brooks

2,220264,455 (3.14)13
The official novel based on the movie, this book features an expanded story line. The Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, are charged with protecting Amidala, the young Queen of Naboo, as she seeks to end the siege of her planet by Trade Federation warships. The quest introduces them to a slave boy who has extraordinary instincts.… (more)

Writing: 4.5; pretty good writing from Terry Brooks, in his first (and thus far only) Star Wars novel.
Theme: 5.0; while disrupting the trade blockade over Naboo, Jedi Knights Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are forced to take refuge on the planet Tatooine, where they discover the strong, Force-sensitive slave boy Anakin Skywalker, all the while evading the dark Sith Lord Darth Maul, who is pursuing the escaped Queen Amidala of Naboo.
Content: 5.0; the usual violence of the Star Wars stories, but nothing is really described in detail.
Language: 5.0; nothing objectionable.

In this novelization of the film of the same name, The Phantom Menace gives a faithful adaptation of the story found on the big screen. All of the adventure experienced by Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Padme Amidala is given here, with pretty much everything being the same as it is in the film, other than perhaps a few switching of roles or differences in dialogue found within the volume. Since I recently reviewed the film itself, I won't touch very much on the content that is in both (if you are that interested, feel free to take a look at my review of the movie). Instead I will focus on what is new and unique to the book. The biggest change here is with Anakin Skywalker and how his life is presented. Instead of being introduced to Anakin when the Jedi arrive on Tatooine, we meet him in the very first chapter, which follows him in the race that was alluded to in the film, in which Anakin's pod (actually, Watto's pod) is sabotaged and destroyed by Sebulba. We also get to follow Anakin throughout his life in a few scenes new to the saga in this volume, including Anakin's construction of C-3PO and the pair's adventure involving an injured Tusken Raider being found in the desert, and Anakin must choose whether to save him or let him die. That is really the only biggest new addition, although it is cool to get some insight into the thoughts each of these characters have, such as Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Padme, although I feel Anakin's revealed the most new information, but Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's do reveal quite a bit, especially in the climactic duel with Darth Maul and in the Jedi Council meetings surrounding Anakin's fate. If you're just a casual Star Wars fan, this would be one that may not interest you too much, since the same story is presented in the film. But for those who want all they can get concerning the universe, definitely check this out. There's a good bit of secrets you can learn about, especially concerning Anakin's background. ***Finished October 12, 2018*** ( )

DarthTindalus | Oct 18, 2018 |
Writing: 4.5; Theme; 4.5; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Overall: 4.5; Anakin Skywalker is introduced to the Star Wars universe when Qui-Gon Jinn realizes the high midi-chlorian count within the young boy. The Jedi Council feel a negative force within young Anakin and refuse to allow him to be trained in the Jedi. After Qui-Gon is killed by the Sith Lord Darth Maul, Obi-Wan is chosen to lead the young apprentice, when the Council changes their mind toward the youth. Very good story line in this volume. Highly recommend. ***October 13. 2018*** (Read with Jonathan) ( )
1 vote jntjesussaves | Oct 14, 2018 |
Read the first few chapters, and it is more palatable than the movie, although Jar-Jar Binks is even more jarring, if that is possible. ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 7, 2018 |
The novelization of Episode I: The Phantom Menace was written by Terry Brooks, best known for his Shannara fantasy series. While Brooks, for the most part, follows the script very closely, he also adds several new scenes which cast the story in a different light, making this novelization a very interesting read.

Terry Brooksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lisa, Jill, Amanda, & Alex, the kids who grew up with the story & to Hunter, the first of the next generation.
Tatooine.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, an evil legacy long believed dead is stirring. Now the dark side of the Force threatens to overwhelm the light, and only an ancient Jedi prophecy stands between hope and doom for the entire galaxy.

The Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, young Obi-Wan Kenobi, are charged with the protection of Amidala, the young Queen of Naboo, as she seeks to end the siege of her planet by Trade Federation warships. This quest brings Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and one of the Queen's young handmaidens to the sand-swept streets of Tatooine and the shop where the slave boy Anakin Skywalker toils and dreams of finding a way to win freedom from enslavement for himself and his beloved mother. His only hope lies in his extraordinary instincts and his strange gift for understanding the "rightness" of things. It is this unexpected meeting that marks the beginning of the drama that will become legend . . .

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,137,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible