All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell

All That Remains (1992)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Kay Scarpetta (3)

3,750None1,390 (3.58)23
Recently added byjet1, BlakesburgLibrary, private library, Waffleydoom, olgaroederer
Cornwell (16) crime (157) crime fiction (68) detective (24) ebook (15) FBI (11) fiction (296) forensic mystery (12) forensic pathology (13) forensic science (11) forensics (113) Kay Scarpetta (232) medical (10) medical examiner (37) murder (39) mystery (367) novel (28) own (14) paperback (13) Patricia Cornwell (30) read (60) Scarpetta Series (27) serial killer (32) series (36) suspense (40) thriller (108) to-read (25) unread (16) USA (19) Virginia (25)

English (39)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (44)
Kay Scarpetta, Chief Medical Examiner for the State of Virginia, is back in Patricia D. Cornwell's crime novel All That Remains. Those who remember my previous comments about Body of Evidence and Postmortem will want to read this one right away. It has skeletonized bodies, conspiracies, a little bit of psychic tom-foolery, and CIA spookery, all wrapped into a very entertaining, hard-to-put-down package. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Excellent as always. I love this author and thoroughly enjoy every book I have read by her. ( )
  LorettaR | Aug 22, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |

This was a very fast read. It is a good crime/detective novel with several plot twists. Its only weak point is with the on-again/off-again romance between Dr Scarpetta and her ex-boyfriend. It's obvious that this book was written in the early 90s by a woman in that a woman of that era sees all the negatives in a relationship. It's all take and no give, two selfish people with no interest in seeing the other person's point of view. ( )
  CatQuilt | May 10, 2013 |
Conditioned by my previous experiences with detective novels whenever I begin a Scarpetta book I expect a straightforward mystery, and every time Cornwell crafts a story that's everything but. Oh, there is a mystery alright, but there is also a very strong human element and the more I get to know Kay Scarpetta and her circle the more clearly I see it. It is possible of course that this human element is becoming more prominent, with every consecutive book being more about the people than the crime, the crime being a catalyst for this humanity to manifest itself and provide a macabre backdrop for it. And you know what? I like seeing something more layered than an cold investigation into disappearances and deaths, I like seeing characters stretch themselves, doubt themselves and their friends and colleagues, struggle through life's problems and emerge changed, even just a little bit. I like seeing relationship develop through the mundane things, and Cornwell delivers that every time. In case you're wondering what it is I'm talking about: here Kay doubts her friendship with Abby Turnbull, the reporter she first met in Postmortem, because Abby isn't being particularly straightforward about her involvement in Scarpetta's latest case. It is also in this book that she realizes that the more she works with Marino the more she likes him, despite his unkempt appearance and irritating behavior, and a true friendship begins to emerge. And last but not least there are the frustrations of finding herself in the middle of basically a face-off between the FBI, the DA's office and higher echelons of government. Cornwell uses these situations wonderfully to develop her characters and since they are so significant in the story they become the stage of power plays and the really dramatic scenes.
Politics is big in this book and Cornwell explores the effects of it on people's lives with her usual delicate but firm touch. The potential of a cover-up in her daughter's murder case pushes a prominent politician over the edge and the question of whether she ruined her own career or was helped along the way is a major point of contention in this book. There is also the matter of whether being a public figure at a time like what this politician's family is going through is a blessing or a curse and the reality that there is more than one answer to this question. The fact that Cornwell raises these issues and that everything filters through Kay, the protagonist, makes her a complex individual who navigates a personal and professional maze every day and knows that things are much less straightforward than she would like them to be, a person who regularly thinks about life and people, and not just on a simple day-to-day level.
My only concern with this novel is that if Cornwell continues along the path she is on the politics will grow to dominate the story and while it is a fertile field for character development I would hate to see it happen - politics tend to make things convoluted and much talk about views and positions on issues is not something I enjoy in my fiction. I think she struck a nice balance in this book and hope the next novels don't veer off into a lot of talk and little action. ( )
  bolgai | May 13, 2012 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zeelenberg, Annettesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Michael Congdon. As always, thanks.
Saturday, the last day of August, I started work before dawn.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074349153X, Mass Market Paperback)

A serial killer is loose in Richmond, specializing in attractive young couples whose bodies are inevitably found in the woods months later -- minus their shoes and socks. After months of exposure to all the elements, all that remains of this killer's victims has in every case left Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta unable even to determine an exact cause of death. Frustrated that her high-tech forensic skills have apparently proved useless, Kay enlists the help of and ace crime reporter and a psychic whose powers have been vouched for by the FBI.

Racing against time, Kay finds she must draw upon her own personal resources to track down a murderer skilled at eliminating every clue. All that remains to her now is her courage and intuition and the will to stop a killer before he can strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:48 -0400)

When the fifth couple falls prey to a serial killer with a penchant for murdering young lovers parked in their cars, Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta attempts to examine the evidence.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,496,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible