The Ghost in Love by Jonathan Carroll

The Ghost in Love

by Jonathan Carroll

The ghost agrees unhappily; it is a ghost, not a nursemaid. But a funny thing happens—the ghost falls madly in love with the man’s girlfriend, and things naturally get complicated. Soon afterward, the man discovers he did not die when he was “supposed” to because for the first time in their history, human beings have decided to take their fates back from the gods. It’s a wonderful change, but one that comes at a price.

The Ghost in Love is about what happens to us when we discover that we have become the masters of our own fate. No excuses, no outside forces or gods to blame—the responsibility is all our own. It’s also about love, ghosts that happen to be gourmet cooks, talking dogs, and picnicking in the rain with yourself at twenty different ages.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
[a:Jonathan Carroll|23704|Jonathan Carroll|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1222900262p2/23704.jpg]'s writing style reminds me very much of [a:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg]'s. I enjoyed the crazy little detours for a while, but after a time it seemed like we were just detouring to detour, and I wondered when we got to the point. When we finally arrived, I didn't know what to make of it.

It's a bit like you got out of bed and then ended up rounding the bases in a game of baseball. Neither is weird, but if you started one and ended up with the other, you're a little surprised.

In short, it felt like the weirdness was there because weirdness was expected. I haven't read any of his other books, but I'd be willing to give him a shot - the ideas are certainly unique, but the execution was quite strange. ( )
  liso | Sep 18, 2015 |
What happens when someone is scheduled to die and survives instead? Is it a "heavenly computer glitch"? Is it the work of Satan? Or, is it merely a human being's free will. This is a whimsical book about that very question. It is a little reminiscent of TIME TRAVELERS WIFE although not as intriguing. A good read none-the-less.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This one was for book club. Not my type of writing. ( )
  Caitdub | Oct 24, 2013 |
After a bad fall on some ice, Ben's life has been turned upside-down: he’s seeing flashes of someone else’s life, nothing makes any sense, and his dog is talking to him. He fears he's going crazy.

Imagine his surprise when he finds out it's all because he was supposed to have died when his head hit the sidewalk. But instead of being dead, he's walking around with one foot in each world.

It’s a fascinating combination of circumstances, but unfortunately, they don't come together into one of Carroll's better books. He has an interesting idea, exploring the ways we come to grips with our pasts and reconcile who we were with who we are, but the interpersonal relationships--usually the backbone of everything he writes --lack his usual sincerity. Dialogue tends toward expository chunks rather than honest conversation or discussion; the ending is a long, philosophical diatribe on the meaning and nature of being alive. Some of Carroll’s lines are brilliant, shining gems of poetry that lilt across the page, but these occasional lines feel out of place with the rest of the narrative. One gets the impression that Carroll wrote this book to exorcise his own demons about getting older, rather than to tell a particular story. Carroll’s existing fans will find this one, but he’s unlikely to hook new readers with this effort.

This makes a couple of disappointments in a row from Jonathan Carroll. I'm hoping he's just in a slump, and hasn't lost his touch all together. I'm waffling between 3 and 4 stars, but I'm erring on the side of four. I want to believe. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |

Jonathan Carrollprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With hand on heart, a deep bow to
Richard Parks and Joe del Tufo
The ghost was in love with a woman named German Landis.
Like a spider web you walk into, it is not so easy to get all the tendrils of real love off after you have passed through it.
Usually at least once in a person’s childhood we lose an object that at the time is invaluable and irreplaceable to us, although it is worthless to others. Many people remember that article for the rest of their lives…If we describe it to others and explain why it was so important, even those who love us smile indulgently because to them it sounds like a trivial thing to lose. Kid stuff. But it is not. Those who forget about this object have lost a valuable, even crucial memory. Because something central to our younger self resided in that thing. When we lost it, for whatever reason, a part of us shifted permanently.

“I envy anyone who has yet to enjoy the sexy, eerie, and addictive novels of Jonathan Carroll. They are delicious treats—with devilish tricks inside them.”—Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

Neil Gaiman has written: “Jonathan Carroll has the magic. He’ll lend you his eyes, and you’ll never see the world in quite the same way ever again.”

Welcome to the luminous and marvelously inventive world of The Ghost in Love. A man falls in the snow, hits his head on a curb, and dies. But something strange occurs: the man doesn’t die, and the ghost that’s been sent to take his soul to the afterlife is flabbergasted. Going immediately to its boss, the ghost asks, what should I do now? The boss says, we don’t know how this happened but we’re working on it. We want you to stay with this man to help us figure out what’s going on.

Stephen King has said that “Jonathan Carroll is as scary as Hitchcock, when he isn’t being as funny as Jim Carrey.” Jonathan Lethem sees Carroll as the “master of sunlit surrealism.” However one regards this beguiling original, two facts are indisputable: It’s tough being a ghost on an empty stomach. And The Ghost in Love is a triumphant return.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

A man falls in the snow, hits his head on a curb, and dies. But something strange occurs: the man doesn't die, and the ghost that's been sent to take his soul to the afterlife is flabbergasted. Going immediately to its boss, the ghost asks, what should I do now? The boss says, we don't know how this happened but we're working on it. We want you to stay with this man to help us figure out what's going on. The ghost agrees unhappily; it is a ghost, not a nursemaid. But a funny thing happens--the ghost falls madly in love with the man's girlfriend, and things naturally get complicated. Soon afterward, the man discovers he did not die when he was "supposed" to because for the first time in their history, human beings have decided to take their fates back from the gods. It's a wonderful change, but one that comes at a price.--From publisher description.… (more)

73 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,836,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible