All Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant Morrison

All Star Superman, Vol. 2

by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely (Illustrator)

Other authors: Jamie Grant (Illustrator)

Series: Superman, All-Star Superman (2)

(Note, this review refers to the entire run of 12 All-Star Superman issues, but Volume 2 is only issues 7-12)

This book is... weird.

All-Star Superman is something of a "reboot" intended to be self-contained, but pulling from the great history of Superman mythos. The book contains re-imagined and repurposed versions of Superman, Lois, and Luthor, as well as new versions of Bizarro, Doomsday, and, most interestingly, a completely rethought Mr. Mkzyplk (no I'm not going to bother looking up the spelling).

By pulling in so much material to work with, the book can get really damn weird sometimes. It involved characters I'm not even familiar with as a casual Superman fan, which made some of the book quite confusing. And when Superman went to Bizarro world and met Zibarro, a smart Bizarro-superman in a world of idiot Supermen, the book kind of went full retard.

This book did a lot of stuff right. Lex Luthor is fascinating and evil as all hell, as an example. My favorite thing is the overall concept; in the infamous Death and Return of Superman story arc, where Superman fought Doomsday, it was page after page of Superman and Doomsday smashing into each other. Completely brainless, and utterly missing the point of Superman dying. Superman is invincible, so having a giant monster show up and kill him was a missed opportunity to have Kal-El face his own death. All-Star Superman fixes this, as the entire arc is Superman selflessly cleaning up loose ends before what he believes to be his own death. This story is fascinating and, at times, touching. Really well done stuff. I also really enjoyed the slight nod at explaining why nobody mistakes Clark for Superman - the extremely large man wears loose-fitting suits and uses his posture to basically make himself look like a doofy fat man, and the way it's drawn completely works.

The book also did a lot wrong. First of all, Lois Lane is far, far too sexualized - almost every frame she's in has her drawn suggestively for no good reason, and it makes the entire book come off as immature. Her stint as Super-woman (don't ask) goes virtually nowhere, and fails to really explore any of the interesting points it raises. Additionally, Jimmy Olsen might be more annoying in this book than any other version of Olsen I know of, the guy is just grating.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and I think it brought a lot to the table in terms of Superman mythos. I was wary of the All-Star moniker after Frank Miller's Batman abortion, but this was worth a read and pretty enjoyable, even if it did occasionally go off the rails.

Volume 2 is a noticable improvement over Volume 1, without as much of the Lois silliness, and with the added bonus of a surprisingly deep-and thought-provoking trip to the Bizarro world. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
This gets a little weirder than the first part. The two Bizarro parts get to be especially annoying just trying to read their dialog. Still good though. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
(See review of previous volume in this two-issue series.)
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
All I can say is, I really, really wish there were more than just two volumes. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | May 6, 2012 |
Excellent conclusion to one of the best Superman stories of all time. I liked this volume even more than the first half. I've never been a big fan of Grant Morrison or Frank Quitely, but both did an amazing job in this case. ( )
1 vote drewandlori | Feb 4, 2012 |

Grant Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quitely, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, JamieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waid, MarkIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The last days of Superman, chronicling the events leading to a world without Superman.

"Topsy-turvy madness on the backwards Bizarro planet. A bottled city that proves you can never go home again. A living sun hell-bent on destroying humanity. A world without the Man of Steel. Twelve impossible labors and mere moments to save the Earth. You've never seen this before. And you'll never see its like again. The multiple-award-winning All-Star Superman concludes only after taking the timeless icon to all-time heights of excitement and acclaim. An eternal story true to the greatest character from the golden age of comics and crafted by a team of comics creators reminding us that there still are living legends" -- dust jacket flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible