Mars Life by Ben Bova

Mars Life (2008)

by Ben Bova

Series: Grand Tour (18)

1911061,769 (3.4)5

This book is a sci-fi novel with the theme of religion versus science. Science is represented by the planetary explorers of Mars, who are studying the planet after discovery of 60 million year old human-like life. A group of earthly religious fundamentalists has become so politically powerful that it can determine the outcome of elections. New Morality leadership sees the archeological work being done on Mars as a threat to its core religious beliefs--it wants the project shut down. I believe it's obvious that Bova sees the religious movement as a fanatic fringe; he even states that when religious movements become too powerful, conflict results. Lots of conflict in the book, but the resolution seems like an afterthought. The book just sort of ends, leaving the reader to wonder what the result might be...the epilogue gives a clue. I liked the book. It was exciting--makes one think. ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 20, 2015 |
Great addition to Bova's Grand Tour novels, specifically the Mars book. I really like how Bova was able to weave the excitement of colonizing and exploring Mars with the real world concerns back on Earth of just how economically feasible it would be to do so. The main protagonist (Jamie Waterman) really stands out as a solid character to drive many of the plot points, both pro and con Mars exploration, while everything else just kind of plays off of that. If you in any way like the subject of astronomy, specifically solar system exploration, I highly recommend picking up Bova's Grand Tour novels. Great escapism, which we all could use a little of these days. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 15, 2014 |
I had not read the first two books in this series, in fact didn't know there were two previous books until I read the reviews here. Even still, a reader can pick up Mars Life and understand what is going on. I liked the story and thought the happenings on Mars were believable. It was hard to get a sense of how far in the future this was supposed to be. They had ships which could get them to Mars in under a week but computers which didn't seem much different than what we use today. My only real problem with the book was the political stuff back on Earth. The New Morality organization frankly seemed unbelievable to me. Not that I couldn't believe in that such an organization could exist. I couldn't believe that such an organization could gain such power in the United States in so short a time. Also, and this is a minor point, the global warming crisis Earth was handled pretty much as an after thought and suffered therefore from inconsistencies.

One other thing, the plot device to get the priest to Mars was a failure. In fact, the whole subplot involving the priest could have been dropped. I'm guessing he was a major character in perhaps the first book and Bova wanted to wrap-up his history. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
Get this from the library. Its entertaining. Definitely anti religion. It seldom show religious people in a favorable light except for native American theology. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
repetitive and boring. Couldn't even finish it ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |

Ben Bovaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei
To Barbara, my favorite columnist; to Maria and Mike Cote, my favorite editors; and to the memory of Carleton S. Coon, an early victim of political correctness.
Mars is the most earthlike planet in the solar system. But that doesn’t mean that it’s very much like Earth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765357240, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

Jamie Waterman discovered the cliff dwelling on Mars, and the fact that an intelligent race lived on the red planet sixty-five million years ago, only to be driven into extinction by the crash of a giant meteor. Now the exploration of Mars is itself under threat of extinction, as the ultraconservative New Morality movement gains control of the U.S. government and cuts off all funding for the Mars program. Meanwhile, Carter Carleton, an anthropologist who was driven from his university post by unproven charges of rape, has started to dig up the remains of a Martian village. Science and politics clash on two worlds as Jamie desperately tries to save the Mars program and uncover who the vanished Martians were.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible