Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

Silent in the Sanctuary

by Deanna Raybourn

Series: Lady Julia Grey (2)

1,164676,969 (4)74
Recently added byRena37, private library, KVP, siann27

I like her writing style. Witty. But would still like to see more of Brisbane on the page. Not quite working as a romance for me. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |
Another enjoyable read. Her characters are very engaging and she is very descriptive in setting her scenes. Already have Silent in the Moor waiting in the wings. :) ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
Silent in the Sanctuary
4 Stars

Returning home to Belmont Abbey, Lady Julia Grey finds her ancestral home inundated with friends and family including the one man she thought never to see again, the inscrutable Nicholas Brisbane. Amid Christmas preparations and parlor games, a killer lurks and when one of the guests is found bludgeoned in the sanctuary, Julia and Nicholas resume their unlikely partnership in order to uncover the truth before the murderer strikes again...

Raybourn’s writing style is very engaging and the details of Victorian society merge smoothly into the storyline. Nevertheless, the pacing is problematic with an excess of exposition and the actual mystery only beginning halfway through the book.

The murder plot develops slowly with several intriguing twists and turns. Unfortunately, the climax is rather tepid and the resolution somewhat unsatisfying - Emma and Lucy not only get away with their crimes but benefit from them as well.

Julia and Nicholas’s attraction continues to smolder and there are one or two passionate embraces, but once again their romance is lacking in detail. Although Nicholas and Julia are both appealing characters, his tendency toward condescension blinds him to her insights while she has a unfortunate habit of jumping to conclusions, usually the wrong ones, which inevitable leads her into trouble.

The majority of the secondary cast is comprised of Julia’s charmingly eccentric family members, loyal yet opinionated servants and a number of intriguing house-guests. Each and every character from Julia's overindulgent father, curmudgeonly aunt and appallingly dressed brother to the shy and awkward cousin, insolent maid, and less than pious country curate contributes to the warm and intimate yet also somewhat insidious atmosphere of the story.

On a final note, the change in narrators took some getting used to, especially since I’d recently listened to Jennifer Van Dyck’s narration of Richelle Mead’s Dark Swan series, which is in a completely different genre. That said, the narration is well-done overall and Van Dyck's male voices are exceptional although her female voices are too snooty for my tastes. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
After five months in Italy with two of her older brothers, Lady Julia Grey is not entirely disappointed when her father summons her and her brothers home for Christmas. Arriving at their family home in Sussex, Julia is surprised to find amongst their family party Nicholas Brisbane, who has not contacted Julia once during her absence and now appears to have several new secrets he's keeping. When one of the party is found murdered, Julia and Brisbane once again must work in partnership to solve the crime and face the sparks that fly between them whenever they meet.

This second entry in the series is a little bit smoother than the first novel and thoroughly enjoyable. I've always been a fan of murder mysteries set on an estate and Raybourn plays with the formula well. Julia and Brisbane continue to fascinate as main characters and it's a delight to get further acquainted with Julia's large family. I continue to enjoy this mystery series and have already dived into the next book. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 28, 2016 |
Just as good as the first!! Im wishing i had the next book already! : ( Its being transferred for me to my library branch but I want it right NOW! Lol I love how at the end Raybourne gives you a little taste of what to expect in next book however it makes you want to read it that much more. Im so glad that she is writing about a "Dsyfunctional" family- so many of the Histoical Mysteries focus on the conventions and proper etiquette etc of that time period. Raybourne's series is unique because she has created a family that could care less about the social niceties of their era and are doing, saying, wearing etc. whatever they want. That makes the series so much more fun & the family alot more likeable in my opinion. Way to go Raybourne!!! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Deanna Raybournprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mother, Barbara Russell Jones, who has read every word I have ever written, and loved them all.
"Well, I suppose that settles it."
Now I was more certain than ever of my decision. I could not love a man who did not love Jane Austen.

fresh from a six-month sojourn in Italy, Lady Julia returns home to Sussex to find her father's estate crowded with family and friends— but dark deeds are afoot at the deconsecrated abbey, and a murderer roams the ancient cloisters.

Much to her surprise, the one man she had hoped to forget—the enigmatic and compelling Nicholas Brisbane—is among her father's houseguests… and he is not alone. Not to be outdone, Julia shows him that two can play at flirtation and promptly introduces him to her devoted, younger, titled Italian count.

But the homecoming celebrations quickly take a ghastly turn when one of the guests is found brutally murdered in the chapel, and a member of Lady Julia's own family confesses to the crime. Certain of her cousin's innocence, Lady Julia resumes her unlikely and deliciously intriguing partnership with Nicholas Brisbane, setting out to unravel a tangle of deceit before the killer can strike again. When a sudden snowstorm blankets the abbey like a shroud, it falls to Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane to answer the shriek of murder most foul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:55 -0400)

Returning home to Sussex after a jaunt in Italy, Lady Julia is soon immersed in mystery when one of the guests at her father's estate is murdered and a member of her family confesses to the crime.

Deanna Raybourn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,460,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible