Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey

The Fairy Godmother (2004)

by Mercedes Lackey

Recently added byAmelia1989, private library, CindyBooks, Marz38, Tiffani_Keaton, vittithing, kd_lawson
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Alliebadger)
    Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: For the "fairy tale taking control" theme, which seems rather unusual in and of itself, both of these books qualify.
    Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon (generalkala)

English (56)  German (1)  All languages (57)
Lackey builds an entertaining world where the life is controlled by the will of "the tradition" - the long-standing tropes of fairy-tales. Princesses locked in towers, questing princes, sacrifices made for a greater good, etc. Elena was on Cinderella's path until her stepfamily abandoned her and she was forced to look for work. She's hired by an unusual-looking woman who turns out to be a very magical fairy godmother, eager to discover if Elena is capable of becoming her apprentice and taking over the demanding responsibilities of keeping a magical balance in the kingdom. The world-building is fun but the romantic plot that emerges is poorly written. ( )
  bookappeal | Feb 3, 2019 |
Should satisfy both fantasy and romance readers. I loved the world-building. The characters were believable, sufficiently complex. A little fluffy - I find I'm having to think a bit to recall exactly what I liked about it. But plenty of fun. Bottom line, if you are trying to decide whether or not to read it, I recommend you do. If you think it's probably not something you'd like, don't. Simple as that, really. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I enjoyed this story and the world it's built in. It was just slightly slow in the beginning but not in a bad way. It was necessary to see the history of Elena before she became a Godmother. But it does make it seem a little like two books in one. I really enjoy the aspect of The Tradition and what that makes for the story here. I didn't catch all the fairy-tale references but I'll go see if I can figure them out now. Similar to Lackey's other stories in the fact that there's always a happy ending and nothing too terrible happens, but different from what I'm used to from her as well. Enjoyable. ( )
  Kassilem | May 7, 2016 |
In the same tradition as [a:Gregory Maguire|7025|Gregory Maguire|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1196015404p2/7025.jpg], starts off very like [b:Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister|18943|Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister|Gregory Maguire|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167164034s/18943.jpg|1758112] but follows the story of the Fairy Godmother rather than Cinderella or her stepsisters. Fun, beautifully imagined mix of classic fairytale and creative fantasy that manages to stop short of being cliche. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
An interesting twist on my favorite fairy tale - I just couldn't get into it :-/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
Dedicated to the members of the FDNY, lost 9/11/01
This is not the way to spend a beautiful spring morning!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802455, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of the Heralds of Valdemar series comes an enchanting novel.

In the land of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, if you can't carry out your legendary role, life is no fairy tale. . .

Elena Klovis was supposedto be her kingdom's Cinderella--until fate left her with a completely inappropriate prince! So she set out to make a new life for herself. But breaking with "The Tradition" was no easy matter--until she got a little help from her own fairy godmother. Who promptly offered Elena a most unexpected job. . .

Now, instead of sleeping in the chimney. She has to deal with arrogant, stuffed-shirt princes who keep trying to rise above their place in the tale. And there's one in particular who needs to be dealt with. . .

Sometimes a fairy godmother's work is never done. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

In the mystical realm of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, the newest Fairy Godmother tries to help three impossible princes find the women of their dreams, while fending off an evil sorcerer who is determined to destroy her kingdom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,466,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible