Beautiful boy : a father's journey through…

Beautiful boy : a father's journey through his son's addiction

by David Sheff

Recently added byKRoan, Em_Mac, juglicerr, chris.newman, tennwisc, lwilliams2468, private library, janersm, revslick, DUHCC

A fantastic journey of a father's love and experience with his son's meth addiction. The best part is when his younger brother and sister are discussing what happens to him when he goes back to using. Their definition brought me to tears. Usually, I'd just describe the scene or comments, but all the lead up to that one scene both before and after have to be read to fully experience. ( )
  revslick | Jun 26, 2014 |
I thought this book was really eye opening, it made me realize that all the rules and guidelines that my parents set for me when I was younger was to avoid these types of scenarios, and made me appreciate what my parents did for me. It also shows how someone in your family addicted to drugs affects everyone in its own way. I also felt that the dad became addicted to fixing his sons addiction which I thought was rather interesting.
  Caleb.Monica | May 8, 2014 |
BEAUTIFUL BOY is heart wrenching story by the father of a son who is hopelessly addicted to meth. The son was in rehab many times but it didn't seem to work. By the end of the book the son had been clean for two years and then relapsed. I would like to know his story beyond the book. I felt sadder for the father than I did for the addicted son. I felt the father's pain and helplessness. Unfortunately he cared so much he couldn't break lose. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jan 11, 2014 |
Heartbreaking memoir by the father of a meth addict. The son also wrote a memoir, "Tweak," which is also a five-star rated book. ( )
  jmcilree | Jul 14, 2013 |
" Beautiful Boy" is about a father who is struggling with his sons addiction to drugs. It is based on a true story. The boy with the drug addiction was named nick. He had 2 little siblings, 1 boy and 1 girl.Nicks job was to look after them and become a great role model but, all went wrong This book was very hard to read because it was so sad and personal that at one point I just couldn't take it anymore.
I gave this book a 3 star rating because it was confusing in parts because the author kept switching perspectives of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone that could use help with a drug addiction or to help someone with one because this story will touch their hearts and maybe make a difference in their lives. ( )
  br13damcl | Mar 7, 2013 |
When you cross the street,
Take my hand.
--JOHN LENNON, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"
This book is for the men and women who have dedicated their lives to understanding and combating addiction at rehabs, hospitals, research centers, sober-living and half-way houses, and organizations devoted to education about drug abuse, as well as the anonymous - the brave ones who keep coming back - at countless twelve-step meetings every day and night throughout the world - to them and their families: the people who understand my family's story because they have lived and are living it, the families of the addicted - their children, brothers and sisters, friends, partners, husbands and wives, and parents like me. "It's just that you can't help them and it's all so discouraging," wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald. But the truth is, you do help them, and you help one another. You helped me. Along with them, this book is dedicated to my wife, Karen Barbour, and my children, Nic, Jasper and Daisy Sheff.
Howdy Pop, God, I miss you guys so much.
Some of the material in this book appeared in the article, "My Addicted Son," New York Times Magazine, February 6, 2005

What had happened to my beautiful boy? To our family? What did I do wrong? Those are the wrenching questions that haunted every moment of David Sheff’s journey through his son Nic’s addiction to drugs and tentative steps toward recovery. Before Nic Sheff became addicted to crystal meth, he was a charming boy, joyous and funny, a varsity athlete and honor student adored by his two younger siblings. After meth, he was a trembling wraith who lied, stole, and lived on the streets. David Sheff traces the first subtle warning signs: the denial, the 3 A.M. phone calls (is it Nic? the police? the hospital?), the rehabs. His preoccupation with Nic became an addiction in itself, and the obsessive worry and stress took a tremendous toll. But as a journalist, he instinctively researched every avenue of treatment that might save his son and refused to give up on Nic.
Beautiful Boy is a fiercely candid memoir that brings immediacy to the emotional rollercoaster of loving a child who seems beyond help. [retrieved 7/23/2014 from Amazon.com]

Nic Sheff wrote his own account of his life and addiction: Tweak

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618683356, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, February 2008: From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David. Achingly honest, it chronicles the betrayal, pain, and terrifying question marks that haunt the loved ones of an addict. Many respond to addiction with a painful oath of silence, but David Sheff opens up personal wounds to reinforce that it is a disease, and must be treated as such. Most importantly, his journey provides those in similar situations with a commodity that they can never lose: hope --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:04 -0400)

From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David.--From amzon.com.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,616,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible