Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey…

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction

by David Sheff

1,146None7,109 (3.91)33

BEAUTIFUL BOY is heart wrenching story by the father of a son who is hopelessly addicted to meth. The son was in rehab many times but it didn't seem to work. By the end of the book the son had been clean for two years and then relapsed. I would like to know his story beyond the book. I felt sadder for the father than I did for the addicted son. I felt the father's pain and helplessness. Unfortunately he cared so much he couldn't break lose. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jan 11, 2014 |
Heartbreaking memoir by the father of a meth addict. The son also wrote a memoir, "Tweak," which is also a five-star rated book. ( )
  jmcilree | Jul 14, 2013 |
" Beautiful Boy" is about a father who is struggling with his sons addiction to drugs. It is based on a true story. The boy with the drug addiction was named nick. He had 2 little siblings, 1 boy and 1 girl.Nicks job was to look after them and become a great role model but, all went wrong This book was very hard to read because it was so sad and personal that at one point I just couldn't take it anymore.
I gave this book a 3 star rating because it was confusing in parts because the author kept switching perspectives of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone that could use help with a drug addiction or to help someone with one because this story will touch their hearts and maybe make a difference in their lives. ( )
  br13damcl | Mar 7, 2013 |
Currently NOT in Tercs Library
  atercs816 | Jan 17, 2013 |
This is a heart felt story of a fathers love for his son and his son s addiction over a life time .The fathers srtruggles over trying to help free his son from his addictions.Here are the mysteries of love and grief,fear,and faith, power and surrender. ( )
  EffixiousSundown | Sep 21, 2012 |
When you cross the street,
Take my hand.
--JOHN LENNON, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"
This book is for the men and women who have dedicated their lives to understanding and combating addiction at rehabs, hospitals, research centers, sober-living and half-way houses, and organizations devoted to education about drug abuse, as well as the anonymous - the brave ones who keep coming back - at countless twelve-step meetings every day and night throughout the world - to them and their families: the people who understand my family's story because they have lived and are living it, the families of the addicted - their children, brothers and sisters, friends, partners, husbands and wives, and parents like me. "It's just that you can't help them and it's all so discouraging," wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald. But the truth is, you do help them, and you help one another. You helped me. Along with them, this book is dedicated to my wife, Karen Barbour, and my children, Nic, Jasper and Daisy Sheff.
Howdy Pop, God, I miss you guys so much.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618683356, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, February 2008: From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David. Achingly honest, it chronicles the betrayal, pain, and terrifying question marks that haunt the loved ones of an addict. Many respond to addiction with a painful oath of silence, but David Sheff opens up personal wounds to reinforce that it is a disease, and must be treated as such. Most importantly, his journey provides those in similar situations with a commodity that they can never lose: hope --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:04 -0400)

From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David.--From amzon.com.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible