Beautiful boy : a father's journey through…

Beautiful boy : a father's journey through his son's addiction

by David Sheff

I read Tweak and loved the idea of seeing an addiction from the father's POV. The portrayal feels raw. I feel the overwhelming anxiety, frustration, amd sadness David and the others feel. The fear of what will happen to Nic. You also see what you can't fully grasp from Nic, since his novel is his point of view, which is the utter lack of control in his life and the justifications he makes. David also excellently exposes the reader to facts and real accounts thereby expressing the validity of the problem and why we aren't seeing better results in treatment ( )
  QueenAlyss | May 5, 2016 |
Really liked a lot of this book and the narrator was excellent... but... it just got really hard to listen to the author have the same reactions over and over to his son's meth habit. He did drugs himself as a kid and yet can't understand how his son could possibly become a meth addict, and he searches for an answer over and over, and it just gets all so repetitive. Plus the minutiae of taking kids here and there and driving to this place and that place... definitely could have used a bit extra editing. Still, you really feel for the parents when their son/stepson steals and/or gets lost in addiction for the umpteenth time... and yet you want to reach in occasionally and yell at them!

Oh, and the author mentions Joan Didion's "Year of Magical Thinking". I've seen the audiobook but never heard it - guess I'll have to pick it up. I think if you have read/heard that book you'll understand some parts more than those of us who haven't. ( )
  marshapetry | Mar 27, 2016 |
Heart-wrenching, courageous, beautiful book about a father and son; living with addiction; struggling with regret; the dangers of hope; the blessings of insecurity; the uncomfortable and sometimes unspeakable feelings of hurt and anger that arises with people who love one another...in short, I greatly admired the courage of the writer that shone through these pages. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Well written and informative book about a father's quest to find answers and rehab for his meth addicted son. A book for anyone who knows someone or has a family member who is drug addicted or even someone with a mental illness. This book illustrates the pain that a parent goes through trying to find answers and living with the day to day struggle of wondering what is happening to your child. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
When you cross the street,
Take my hand.
--JOHN LENNON, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"
This book is for the men and women who have dedicated their lives to understanding and combating addiction at rehabs, hospitals, research centers, sober-living and half-way houses, and organizations devoted to education about drug abuse, as well as the anonymous - the brave ones who keep coming back - at countless twelve-step meetings every day and night throughout the world - to them and their families: the people who understand my family's story because they have lived and are living it, the families of the addicted - their children, brothers and sisters, friends, partners, husbands and wives, and parents like me. "It's just that you can't help them and it's all so discouraging," wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald. But the truth is, you do help them, and you help one another. You helped me. Along with them, this book is dedicated to my wife, Karen Barbour, and my children, Nic, Jasper and Daisy Sheff.
Howdy Pop, God, I miss you guys so much.
Some of the material in this book appeared in the article, "My Addicted Son," New York Times Magazine, February 6, 2005

What had happened to my beautiful boy? To our family? What did I do wrong? Those are the wrenching questions that haunted every moment of David Sheff’s journey through his son Nic’s addiction to drugs and tentative steps toward recovery. Before Nic Sheff became addicted to crystal meth, he was a charming boy, joyous and funny, a varsity athlete and honor student adored by his two younger siblings. After meth, he was a trembling wraith who lied, stole, and lived on the streets. David Sheff traces the first subtle warning signs: the denial, the 3 A.M. phone calls (is it Nic? the police? the hospital?), the rehabs. His preoccupation with Nic became an addiction in itself, and the obsessive worry and stress took a tremendous toll. But as a journalist, he instinctively researched every avenue of treatment that might save his son and refused to give up on Nic.
Beautiful Boy is a fiercely candid memoir that brings immediacy to the emotional rollercoaster of loving a child who seems beyond help. [retrieved 7/23/2014 from Amazon.com]

Nic Sheff wrote his own account of his life and addiction: Tweak

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618683356, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, February 2008: From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David. Achingly honest, it chronicles the betrayal, pain, and terrifying question marks that haunt the loved ones of an addict. Many respond to addiction with a painful oath of silence, but David Sheff opens up personal wounds to reinforce that it is a disease, and must be treated as such. Most importantly, his journey provides those in similar situations with a commodity that they can never lose: hope --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

From as early as grade school, the world seemed to be on Nic Sheff's string. Bright and athletic, he excelled in any setting and appeared destined for greatness. Yet as childhood exuberance faded into teenage angst, the precocious boy found himself going down a much different path. Seduced by the illicit world of drugs and alcohol, he quickly found himself caught in the clutches of addiction. Beautiful Boy is Nic's story, but from the perspective of his father, David.--From amzon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible