The Hidden Connections: A Science for…

The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living

by Fritjof Capra

316None35,085 (3.78)2

Capra's books are a bit of an acquired taste, which I haven't fully developed yet. Maybe some day. ( )
  wanack | Mar 26, 2010 |
Together with "The web of life", one of the best essays about how living beings develop themselves, evolve and fit in the regulation of the global ecosystem. Brilliently written, the author explains different theories recently developped that fit between themselves like the pieces of a puzzle ( )
  HarryHaller86 | Aug 19, 2008 |
This is great although I can't quite put my finger on it. It is a great introduction into the sea changes in thought that I am sure will characterize our age in 1000 years. The big most accessible message for me is the systems biology notion, the notion that even as the genome is now in a database, our scientists see a much more complex and constantly evolving and recombinant world, rather than a rigid deterministic one which would make the future so much easier (and dangerous). Funny, now many educated people view biology and genetics as deterministic, but that will change as we all learn to speak every day of complexity theory and many other delightful liberating recombinant notions. Read this one too, but slowly and don't be too pedantic about it. Capra is one of my favourites and I have read a few others. ( )
  brett_in_nyc | Apr 26, 2008 |
this is a grat book for use by students or others interested in thinking the actual stage of the human presence in the world.
some topics like sustainability and eco-development find here some very important lessons.I used this book in my research works (I am an environmental engineering student)and I noticed it presents many up-to-date texts,wich contributed very much for my understandig of a lot of the relations between humans and the world and life itself.Great.
1 vote marcilio | Sep 25, 2005 |

Fritjof Capra, bestselling author of The Tao of Physics and The Web of Life, here explores another frontier in the human significance of scientific ideas—applying complexity theory to large-scale social interaction.

In the 1980s, complexity theory emerged as a powerful alternative to classic, linear thought. A forerunner of that revolution, Fritjof Capra now continues to expand the scope of that theory by establishing a framework in which we can understand and solve some of the most important issues of our time. Capra posits that in order to sustain life, the principles underlying our social institutions must be consistent with the broader organization of nature. Discussing pertinent contemporary issues ranging from the controversial practices of the World Trade Organization (WTO) to the Human Genome Project, he concludes with an authoritative, often provocative plan for designing ecologically sustainable communities and technologies as alternatives to the current economic globalization.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:35 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible