The Private Patient by P. D. James

The Private Patient (2008)

by P. D. James

Series: Adam Dalgliesh (14)

Commander Adam Dalgliesh and his team are called in to investigate a murder at a private nursing home for rich patients being treated by the famous plastic surgeon George Chandler-Powell.

English (79)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (85)
I got started reading James a little late in the Adam Dalgliesh series, and while I enjoyed the novel, I got the feeling that this wasn't her best AD mystery. Still, I'll cut the author some slack; she was in her 80s at the time, I believe, and could play this mystery-novel-writing game better than some people much, much younger. She's died since then, but even at the end, her work was good. Good book. ( )
  MeredithRankin | Jun 7, 2019 |
Although I read this mystery with zest finishing it within a week, I was quite disappointed with it overall. Rather maudlin at the end --perhaps fans of AD & his crew need a sentimental slice of the characters' 'lives'--, the culprit was recognizable and the incident with the secondary suspect at the end was beyond far-fetched without prior build up; not to mention the totally extraneous incident with E's friend. This book could have been trimmed down drastically and the story would still have been intact. ( )
  amaraki | May 17, 2019 |
A complex closed envioronment mystery set in a private surgacal clinic in the English countryside. Commander Dalgleish and his squad take over from the local police after an investigative journalist is murdered in her bed. The suspects, as in classic cozies, is limited to the inhabitants of the converted manor, a complex group of people with no readily apparent motives. The solution is surprising, and does rely on information not given the reader. It is even a little ambiguous, with Dalgleish left wondering whether he has the complete story. Very evocative descriptions of the building and surroundings. ( )
  ritaer | Jan 8, 2019 |
typical pd james. Excellent writing and beautifully drawn characters. Great read ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
Not the best P. D. James mystery (I'm fond of Cover Her Face), but still thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Somewhere along the way to its denouement “The Private Patient” loses both track of and interest in its title character. Rhoda Gradwyn’s past is of great interest to some of the book’s characters but not to the reader.

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffini, Maria GraziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hansen, Ole SteenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
This book is dedicated to
Stephen Page, publisher,
and to all my friends, old and new, at Faber and Faber
in celebration of my forty-six unbroken years
as a Faber author
On November the 21st, the day of her forty-seventh birthday, and three weeks and two days before she was murdered, Rhoda Gradwyn went to Harley Street to keep a first appointment with her plastic surgeon, and there is a consulting room designed, so it appeared, to inspire confidence and allay apprehension, made the decision that would lead inexorably to her death.
There was a moment in which, not touching the scar, he scrutinised it in silence. Then he switched off the light and sat again behind the desk. His eyes on the file before him, he said, 'And you waited thirty-four years to do something about it. Why now, Miss Gradwyn?'

There was a pause, then she said, 'Because I no longer have need of it.'
She thought, ... these are my people, the upper working class merging into the middle class, that amorphous unregarded group who fought the country's wars, paid their taxes, clung to what remained of their traditions. They had lived to see their simple patriotism derided, their morality despised, their savings devalued. They caused no trouble. ... If they protested that their cities had become alien, their children taught in overcrowded schools where ninety per cent of the children spoke no English, they were lectured about the cardinal sin of racism by those more expensively and comfortably circumstanced.
This new MMC -- Modernising Medical Careers -- makes training schemes far
more rigid. House men have become foundation-year doctors -- and we all know what a mess the government have made there -- senior house officers are out,
registrars are specialist surgical trainees, and God knows how long all this will last before they think of something else, more forms to fill in, more
bureaucracy, more interference with people trying to get on with their jobs.
Perhaps they popped him into a freezer and produced him nice and fresh on the appropriate day. That's the plot of a book by a detective novelist, Cyril Hare. I think it's called Untimely Death, but it may have been published originally under a different name.
Rhoda Gladwyn was interesting about apparently unconscious copying of phrases and ideas and the occasional curious coincidences in literature when a strong idea enters simultaneously into two minds as if its time has come.

Krimi. Midt i sine lykkelige bryllupsplaner bliver Adam Dalgliesh kaldt til den eksklusive privatklinik for plastikkirurgi i Dorset, hvor skandalejournalisten Rhoda Gradwyn er blevet opereret - og nu er fundet myrdet

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,392,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible