Clifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1963)

by Norman Bridwell

This book was always one of my favorite books and television shows to read and watch in my elementary school. The language was so easy to understand. The way I read this book was through an audio book. I wanted to try the listening aspect of the book and fell in love with it. The plot of the story with talking dogs that have adventures can open the minds of young readers by gaining their attention through unrealistic things. I am absolutely in love with the illustrations in this book. Each has a solid bold color to teach the children who read the book understand what is going on in the plot through only looking at the pictures. It was not jumbled or to chaotic for the children to look at. The bigger picture of this book is for the educational and entertainment purposes. The educational part teaches life lesson in an appropriate way. In the book I read, Clifford was teaching one of the other dogs named Cleo how to say please and thank you, which is definitely something children at the elementary age are trying to learn.
  jbahri1 | Nov 16, 2015 |
I love this book for many reasons. I may be biased but Clifford was one of my favorite characters. I would even watch the tv show! the language is very clear and engaging. The story is very age appropriate as well. The illustrations add to the text and draw children in. The characters are likeable as well.
  sbanke1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
I like this book for three reasons. First, I like the book because the illustrations enhance the story and add interest to the text. Each illustration fills up the entire page with colorful drawings that give expression to the writing. For instance, on one page it says, “We play camping out, and I don’t need a tent.” On this page, Clifford takes up a good majority of the page with his ears propped up by sticks, representing a tent. This illustration helps express the author’s meaning while providing color to increase interest.
Second, I like this book because the writing is engaging and is paced well. On each page, there are only one or two lines. This helps spread out the story in order to slow down the pace of the book. For instance, one page says, “Oh, I know he’s not perfect. He has some bad habits.” Then, the following pages contain lines that list Clifford’s bad habits. Thus, the story is paced by the organization of the writing. In addition, the lines are short but they also promote engagement. For instance, in the above example, the two lines raise the question of what Clifford’s bad habits are. Thus, the text engages the reader.
Third, I like this book because of the first person point of view. Emily Elizabeth, the young girl who owns Clifford, narrates the book. Due to the point of view being from Emily’s perspective, she is able to describe everything about Clifford from a young child’s view. Had the book been from another person’s point of view, the book might not have displayed all of the issues that Emily and Clifford face. For instance, Emily states, “It’s not easy to keep Clifford. He eats and drinks a lot.” Emily, being the owner, must take care of Clifford. Therefore, she knows how difficult it can be to keep him full. If the book had been from another person’s point of view, he or she would not have been able to include this aspect.
Overall, the author’s big message is that a person’s dog or pet is special to him or her. It does not matter if that dog is different or takes a lot of effort to care for. Regardless, that pet is important to the person. One is able to see this idea in the way that Emily talks about Clifford, which displays her pride and love. ( )
  ChristinaAlms | Oct 14, 2015 |
Great picture book, I used to read these to my kids when they are younger. I love how Clifford does everything just like all the other dogs except he's so much bigger. Good book for talking about acceptance and unconditional love. ( )
  alanbuffington | Sep 30, 2015 |
This book is all about expectations--Clifford does all the same things that a normal dog does, but on a different scale, with different consequences.The book lends itself well for introducing size vocabulary, different types of animals and for teaching children about looking after and caring for animals. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 30, 2015 |
This work is for "Clifford the Big Red Dog". That is the title. Other books from the Clifford the Big Red Dog *series* do not belong with this work. Please make sure your book matches this work.
Also, coloring books often have different stories/themes, and should not be combined with this.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059044297X, Paperback)

Emily Elizabeth has a big red dog--the biggest, reddest dog on her street, and his name is Clifford. How big is he? He's so big that when he runs after cars, he catches them in his mouth, and his doghouse is bigger than Emily Elizabeth's house. Needless to say, he makes an excellent watchdog. Children love the idea of the things you could do and the fun you could have with a giant dog, and Norman Bridwell's delightful, Clifford-proof board-book edition will not disappoint. (Baby to preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

Emily Elizabeth describes the activities she enjoys with her very big, very red dog and how they take care of each other.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible