I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie by…

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie

by Alison Jackson

"I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" by Alison Jackson is about an old lady who ate so much on Thanksgiving that she was the size of a parade balloon by the end of the picture book. The old lady swallowed an entire pie, a ten layer cake, and a cooking pot, just to name a few.

I liked this story. The amount of things the old lady consumed was disturbing, though. By the end of the book, she was ten times the size she was when she started. Its a fast, witty book with some repetition, which makes for a fun quick read.

In class, I would read this book before Thanksgiving and talk about portion control. I would have a discussion about how eating too much isn't healthy for your body, but it's still okay to splurge on special occasions. ( )
  ambybeth | Mar 26, 2017 |
I loved I know an old lady who swallowed a fly, so these other versions of the book are great! They go with a certain concept and can be used in different situations. This would be a great book to read to students around Thanksgiving for a fun silly book. The repetition is good for predicting as well. ( )
  Oliviacap | Nov 21, 2016 |
a funny book about an old lady swallowing different thanksgiving foods/objects. she eats so much that she blows up and then she's full!
1 book
  TUCC | Nov 14, 2016 |
GR: K
GL: 1.9
DRA: 18
Lexile:
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. This book is a spinoff of “I know an old lady who swallowed a fly” .The main message in this book is to entertain the reader by telling a story of a lady who swallows a whole pie, told through a rhyme. I enjoyed that the book is Thanksgiving themed – young readers will enjoy the seasonal aspect of the book and can relate to parts of the story mentioned (eating turkey, drinking cider, etc). This makes the book appropriate for the young audience and their experiences. It is also silly enough and crazy enough for readers to understand that these events did not actually happen but still provide entertainment. The rhyme makes it easy for readers to follow along and the repetition provides an element of predictability for young readers. Lastly, I enjoyed the watercolor illustrations. They are predominantly pastel colors but the sketchy-style lines help to animate the story. ( )
  ygurova | Feb 27, 2016 |

The old lady who comes for Thanksgiving dinner astonishes her hosts with the amount of food she consumes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140565957, Paperback)

In the awfully silly I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie, children's librarian and author Alison Jackson bypasses pilgrims completely and cuts straight to the stomach of Thanksgiving in America--dinner. A slightly dizzying new spin on the well-loved cumulative rhyming song "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly," this madcap picture book stars a ravenously hungry relative who comes to Thanksgiving dinner with a pie. Since she eats the pie in its entirety before she even gets in the house, she has to swallow some cider (that "rumbled and mumbled and grumbled inside her"). If you must know, "She swallowed the cider to moisten the pie, / The Thanksgiving pie, which was really too dry, /Perhaps she'll die." The story continues in this vein, as we watch the hosts grow visibly alarmed--and the children visibly delighted-- by the old lady's surreal appetite and supernaturally increasing girth. Illustrator Judith Byron Schachner--creator of the acclaimed Willy and May--has masterfully captured this ludicrous tale in hilariously haywire pen-and-ink drawings, splashed with watercolor. Kids will love this romping, rhyming frolic through a familiar favorite. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

An old woman gobbles up all the food in an enormous Thanksgiving dinner, to the amazement of those around her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,166,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible