Kitty Raises Hell by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty Raises Hell

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (6)

Slowly working my way through this series. I should do so faster, because I'm enjoying every book even though I'm not really a fan of werewolves and vampires. Vaughn's writing is engaging and she does a wonderful job of building up layers with each book. This volume brings in some paranormal investigators who turn out to be surprisingly legit--and some nasty new villains that keep the suspense high. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 19, 2017 |
Kitty Norville, werewolf and radio show host, has just returned from Las Vegas. She just wanted to get married there, but she got a whole lot more than she'd bargained for. The band of weres she defeated in Vegas have sent a nasty curse after her, and it's not just going to hurt her. It's going to hurt everyone she knows.

Kitty calls on all her allies, including the cast of a paranormal investigation reality show. There's some spooky goings-on in here, to the extent that I actually got chills up my spine at one point. Roman's appearance is actually my favorite part of this book. I love that Vaughn sets up a situation in which a maverick comes into town offering help to Kitty, and the Master of Denver tells her to turn him down. And against her instincts, Kitty does turn down the help of the one person who seems to know how to deal with the djinn--and it turns out, the Master was right. Kitty was right to abide by the judgment of someone older and more experienced than her, even though it hurt to do so. It's such a great flip on the usual way this would go down, in which the fiesty paranormal gal and the mysterious maverick would team up and triumph over the cautious old-guard. And meanwhile, the constant trouble Kitty attracts is starting to wear on her pack and her family. Fast-paced, enjoyable, and with great characters. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Fire, brimstone, and bad mojo anywhere she turns. Kitty's in for a wild ride as she faces an enemy that strikes from the shadows and hunts both her and her pack.

There are some fun bits in this book. I like Gary, Jules and particularly Tina of the Paradox P.I. crew. I like the contrast between Jules's science and Tina's powers. I really like that T.J.s brother, Peter, comes looking for him, and Kitty has to face her grief. I love the letter Tina gets from Eric Wiesz, better known as Harry Houdini. And, of course, here is where we first start to hear about Cormac's personal adventure.

Aside from those awesome moments, this story seems like a vehicle to introduce Roman, the supposed "big bad" for the rest of the series. One of the reasons I am happy for this read-along opportunity is that the Roman storyline never really clicked with me. However, I have not yet read the last two books and the few previous to that were read in isolation, not in-a-row with the rest of the series. I find that sometimes makes a big difference in how much I catch on to and enjoy the story. So I'm looking forward to a more cohesive experience of the rest of the series.

Much like the last book, while I like this story, it's not as near and dear to me as the first four books. But, House of Horrors is coming up next, and that IS one of my favorites. :)

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Feb 23, 2016 |
Things kept rolling along at a brisk pace through the entire book. Pulled in new characters that will be back, brought back characters from the previous book to further that part of the storyline and Ben and Kitty are still growing a bit in their relationship. Overall good read! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
3.5 Kitty is being hunted, by something that burns. She can smell something burning, fell heat, hear screams. This is only the beginning, a whole new evil has come to town and it wants Kitty dead and anyone around her. To top it off outsiders are in town offering help, but are they trust worthy ? Her trip to Vegas left some open issues between her and some very pissed off Weretigers who worship a nasty deity. Kitty has to call in her friends for help, she has to trust outside her pack and she must choose who not to trust quickly.
Ben, her mate and lawyer is growing into a nice Alpha role. he has been somewhat week and floundering in his role. He is starting to find his place and take charge of his and Kitty's life. He had me cheering "Go Ben!" I like how his character is growing and their relationship is developing.
They story has not let go of a few characters from the past and I am glad I want to learn more of them. Grant, Cormac, Rick all very interesting. There are some new faces as well that I hope stick around. Tina, Gary and Jules, the Ghost Hunters and funny group.
This was a very short read I would have liked more. The big bad was really interesting. I have already downloaded the next book so TTFN ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey, DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kitty's Pack of Readers,
You Rock.
I had to admit, this was pretty cool.

Kitty and Ben flee The City That Never Sleeps, thinking they were finished with the dangers there, but the sadistic cult of lycanthropes and their vampire priestess have laid a curse on Kitty in revenge for her disrupting their rituals. Starting at the next full moon, danger and destruction the form of fire strikes Kitty and the pack of werewolves she's sworn to protect. Unable to rely on Rick, and unwilling to accept Roman's offer of help for a price, Kitty and her band of allies, including Vegas magician Odysseus Grant and Kitty's own radio audience, mount a trap for the supernatural being behind the curse, a destructive force summoned by the vengeful cult, a supernatural being that none of them ever thought to face.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible