The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His…

The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth (1971)

by Roger Zelazny

English (14)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (16)
This is one of the best collections I've read as far as the stories being consistently good to great. Below is a short blurb about each story. There may be spoilers there.

Corrida (6.5) Bullfighting, you’re the bull, Satan's the toreador.

The Man Who Loved the Faioli (7.0) I don't really get it but it was just so damn cool. Robot graveyard keeper gets together with life draining, angel/slut of death.

The Monster and the Maiden (7.0) Sacrifice a dragon to a human. Pretty funny, very short like a joke

A Museum Piece (6.5) Short silly, sometimes witty, if you can't be an artist then be art.

Collector's Fever (6.0) Short, quirky, I guess it's a hard sci-fi joke.

Devil Car (7.0) This was cool and fun. Mad Max-ish, but totally original.

Divine Madness (6.0) Man loses wife in car accident, now has siezures where everything happens in reverse. Finally reverses to before accident and stops accident from happening.

Love is an Imaginary Number (6.5) Not bad. Trying to figure out if he's the devil, Prometheus or just man in general.

Lucifer (7.0) Not sure why it's called "Lucifer" but damn is it poignant.

The Great Slow Kings (9.0) Excellent, they're like ents only even slower.

The Keys to December (7.0) Forgot to add notes, but I remember liking it.

The Mortal Mountain (6.0) Original. Team climbs highest mountain ever and is haunted by computers trying to protect a woman dying in the mountain. I didn't get the ending at all.

This Moment of the Storm (7.0) This was good, not super creative but poignant and interesting.

A Rose for Ecclesiastes (7.5) Anyone else would have stopped with the basic plot but he gave it so much more

The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth (9.0) This is Zelazny at the top of his game. Amazing writing. Super witty, cool original plot. ( )
1 vote ragwaine | Apr 30, 2018 |
Fantastic title! Great short stories. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Divine Madness
Corrida
Love is an Imaginary Number
Lucifer

There was a time when I bought anything with Zelazny's name on it. All those Amber books cured me (they were fun, but not memorable). This collection is Zelazny at his best. If you only read one, read "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" and you'll be better for it. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Oct 19, 2014 |
This collection contains many of Zelazny's notable stories – "The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth", "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", and "The Man Who Loved the Faioli" to name a few. So, in that regard, it is the perfect collection for the person wanting to explore Zelazny or to be reimmersed.

Which, I guess, shows that I will never be a raving fan of Zelazny's. Don't get me wrong – these are well crafted stories that explore some interesting territory. Occasionally they are of their time (all from the 60s), but not so bad that it drags them down – there is a timelessness about them. And yet, looking back at the collection after completing the book, I am hard-pressed to remember what I actually read. The stories just did not stick with me as the classics many would claim them to be.

They are nice reads. And there is a whole lot worse out there in the world. But, based on this collection alone (and I am not making such a basis) I cannot see someone wanting to explore more of Zelazny's work. ( )
  figre | Aug 19, 2013 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Langeveld, ColinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alan Huff
I'm a baitman.

Collection of the following stories:
"The Doors of His Face, the Lamp of His Mouth"
"The Keys to December"
"Devil Car"
"A Rose for Ecclesiastes"
"The Monster and the Maiden"
"Collector's Fever"
"This Mortal Mountain"
"This Moment of the Storm"
"The Great Slow Kings"
"A Museum Piece"
"Divine Madness"
"Corrida"
"Love is an Imaginary Number"
"The Man Who Loved the Faioli"
"Lucifer"
Martian priestesses
dance very proficiently;
make lousy girlfriends.
(PhileasHannay)

Here are strange, beautiful stories covering the full spectrum of the late Roger Zelazny's remarkable talents. He had a rare ability to mix the dream-like, disturbing imagery of fantasy with the real-life hardware of science fiction. His vivid imagination and fine prose made him one of the most highly acclaimed writers in his field. Three times he won the Nebula Award, and six times the Hugo Award, for excellence in novels and short fiction. Roger Zelazny possessed a unique, dazzling talent; his visions of the future, of other worlds and of other realities are, by turns, enchanting and disturbing, and always memorable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

This text is a collection of strange, beautiful stories covering the full spectrum of the late Roger Zelazny's remarkable talents.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,329,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible