I Ching, Book of Changes by James Legge

I Ching, Book of Changes (1964)

by James Legge (Translator)

Other authors: Ch'u Chai (Editor), Winberg. Chai (Editor)

Older translation still widely used ( )
  antiquary | Nov 5, 2007 |

Legge, JamesTranslatorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chai, Ch'uEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chai, Winberg.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Confucius is reported to have said on one occasion 'If some years were added to my life, I would give fifty to the study of the Yi, and might then escape falling into great errors.'
There are many different translations of the I Ching, most of which are radically different from one another. Avoid combining them into one work unless you are certain they are substantially the same. Here is an excellent summary of the different editions in English: http://www.biroco.com/yijing/survey.h...

An oracle, a philosophy, a work of art - the I Ching has been regarded in these various ways through the ages, from the most ancient times to the present day. Confucius, at the age of seventy, is reported to have said that if some years could be added to his life, he would spend them studying the I Ching. Jung, the great psychoanalyst, took a deep interest in this most ancient Chinese text. the novelist Herman Hesse recounts a significant initiation to that work in his last novel, Magister Ludi. IN the past few years, interest in the I Ching has sharply revived. Major contemporary artists and poets, rediscovering the I Ching, have woven into words deep personal impressions of their contact with the book. In other areas, people are finding that the I Ching has made so powerful an impact on their thinking that they wish to adapt their twentieth-century lives to its timeless philosophy, using its text as a doorway to self-knowledge, the understanding of character, attitudes, motives, and as a guide to their conduct in everyday life.
Invented early in the Chou dynasty (2496-1150 BC)in connection with a process of divination based on the manipulation of milfoil stalks, the canonical text of the I Ching proper consists of symbols - hsia (lines) & kua(trigrams and hexagrams) - with their statements and commentaries. So rich are these symbols and their individual lines in poetic imagery and philosophical implication that Ten Appendices or Wings were subsequently added to the main body of the work in explication, elaboration and interpretation.

Book of Changes
Wonderful new edition of this classic guide, the world's oldest surviving method of fortune telling. With three coins and this book, join millions throughout the world who consult the I Ching in making decisions about the future and trying to understand the present.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:32 -0400)

This excellent text emphasizes the inferential and decision-making aspects of statistics. The first chapter is mainly concerned with the elements of the calculus of probability. The second chapter contains the essential statistical techniques of summarizing the data in a sample prior to making inferences about the population. Additional chapters cover the general properties of distributions, testing hypotheses, and more.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible