Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch

Time of My Life

by Allison Winn Scotch

Recently added bybjh3038, MGJackson, private library, diana.n, sarajenet, W.MdO, tennwisc, jillcw

Jillian is a suburban mom with an investment banker husband, toddler, nanny, and pilates 3 times a week. Has it all, right? But only 7 years ago she was a hip New York advertising exec, going out to restaurant openings with her handsome Esquire-writer boyfriend- now she hears through a mutual friend that Jackson (cute huh, Jack and Jill?) is getting married. Oh no! Regrets abound, and then comes the magical do-over.

Jill travels back to 2000, to a magical New York where she can correct all the things that led to the demise of her relationship with Jack, while at the same time using her memories of an ad campaign that was a hit the first time around to make it even more kick ass. But while her career and personal life seem to be on a great trajectory, Jill still feels off. Everything seems to stem from the abandonment she feels from when her mother left her family when Jill was 9. (There's also that small thing of leaving her 18 month old daughter in the future, possibly never to be seen again, which definitely would have been the freakiest part of this for me!)

I liked the idea of this novel, but some of the execution bothered me. To much cursing- I don't mind f-bombs but in this case they were just overused to the point of being annoying. I was really interested in Jill's mom, but I didn't feel like I got any resolution there. The ending was one of those where I finished the book and said (out loud, to my husband) I can't believe she just ended it that way. Afterthought ending, as if there were still 10 more chapters to be written but editor needed the manuscript RIGHT NOW so can you wrap it up in 5 pages?

That said, I am pretty sure I have read another (later) book by this author and liked it a lot. I did enjoy this one, but wish the ending had been a little less vague. ( )
  W.MdO | Jul 23, 2014 |
I LOVED this novel! It makes you feel like you are the character and the one that gets to choose between what is, and what could have been! Scotch definitely created another best seller for romance and chick lit fans! ( )
  irinka87 | Jan 3, 2012 |
Time of My Life is my favorite Allison Winn Scotch novel. It is my favorite for several reasons. First, I loved Scotch’s writing in this novel. Jillian’s voice was true and genuine. The attention to detail was excellent. Scotch crafted the novel in such a way that I couldn’t put the book down. I had to know what happened next, and I read the novel in one sitting.

I think this book really resonated with me because we all wonder if we made the right decision about certain things in our lives, especially when our current situation is less than stellar. Having the chance to go back and do things over is something we think we all want, but as Jillian finds out, doing things differently from the first go-round isn’t as easy as we would think.

I highly recommend this novel. If you have never read anything by Allison Winn Scotch, this book is the one with which I would start. ( )
  ReadingWithMartinis | May 14, 2011 |
This was a very easy, enjoyable read. ( )
  ErikaRae | Jan 9, 2011 |
Now for the other life, The one without mistakes. - Lou Lipsitz
For Adam, to whom I tell my stories.
And for Campbell and Amelia, who hold the answers to life's many questions.
Ding.

Jillian Westfield has the perfect suburban life straight out of the upscale women's magazines that she obsessively reads. She’s got the modern-print rugs of Metropolitan Home, the elegant meals from Gourmet, the clutter-free closets out of Real Simple, and the elaborate Easter egg hunts seen in Parents. With her successful investment banker husband behind the wheel and her cherubic eighteen-month-old in the backseat, hers could be the family in the magazines’ glossy Range Rover ads.

Yet somehow all of the how-to magazine stories in the world can’t seem to fix her faltering marriage, banish the tedium of days spent changing diapers, or stop her from asking, “What if?”

Then one morning Jillian wakes up seven years in the past. Before her daughter was born. Before she married Henry. Suddenly she’s back in her post–grad school Ikea-furnished Manhattan apartment. She’s back in her fast-paced job with the advertising agency. And she’s still with Jackson, the ex-boyfriend and star of her what-if fantasies.

Armed with twenty-twenty hindsight, she’s free to choose all over again. She can use the zippy ad campaigns from her future to wow the clients and bosses in her present. She can reconnect with the mother who abandoned her so many years before. She can fix the fights at every juncture that doomed her relationship with Jackson. Or can she?

With each new choice setting off a trajectory of unforeseen consequences, Jillian soon realizes that getting to happily ever after is more complicated than changing the lines in her part of the script. Happiness, it turns out, isn’t an either-or proposition. As she closes in on all the things she thought she wanted, Jillian must confront the greatest what-if of all: What if the problem was never Henry or Jackson, but her?

Sharp, funny, and heartwarming, Time of My Life will appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to redo the past and will leave readers pondering, “Do we get the reality we deserve?”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:54 -0400)

Despite her perfect life in the suburbs with a loving husband and baby, Jillian Westfield wonders about the life she has left behind, and gets the chance to find out what might have happened when she wakes up one morning in the middle of her life as it was seven years ago.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible