Lost Moon by Jim Lovell

Lost Moon (1994)

by Jim Lovell, Jeffrey Kluger

Ice by Shane Johnson (dukeallen)
    A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts by Andrew Chaikin (paulkid)
    paulkid: I found Jim Lovell's account of Apollo 13 more gripping and technically explicative than any of Chaikin's stories. Of course, "Lost Moon" did not address the geological exploration of the moon; Chaikin's book is a good choice if you're interested in that.

English (19)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
This book takes you right back to Apollo 13. Reliving it minute by minute, it makes you feel like you are there. It is still amazing even after seeing the movie (which took a few liberties). ( )
  wvoigt | May 18, 2014 |
This is an excellent, reader-friendly book for those wishing to take a dip into the world of the American space program at its height. The science and the experiences of those working with that science are given pride of place in the narrative but does not get in the way of the pacing and is described in ways comprehensible to a novice.

My only complaint would be that the book is the story of Apollo 13 as seen through the eyes of the Lovell family. This is a natural by-product of Jim Lovell being a co-author and Jeffrey Kluger makes sure we hear all about how mission control in Houston experienced the flight as well, but a bit more research on how the world experienced it would've been appreciated. It was a personal event for the Lovells and a professional one for NASA, but it was also a world event. Other than a prayer on the stock exchange and offers from other nations to help retrieve the landing capsule if the astronauts had to come done in waters closer to their shores, little of the outside world's response is mentioned.

Tl;dr: If you're looking to get a gift for a space nut (or an avid reader you hope will become a space nut) and they don't have it already, this book would make an excellent selection. ( )
  willoughby | Dec 12, 2013 |
I sought this out after watching Apollo 13, a film I just loved which was based on this book. Jim Lovell, credited as co-author was the commander of Apollo 13, a mission to the moon that went terribly wrong and threatened the lives of the three astronauts on board. The tale about how NASA worked to get those astronauts safely home is every bit as inspiring as the story of how they successfully got them to the moon. I admit I'm a space junkie so I'm sure that contributed greatly to the appeal of this book, but I was riveted from beginning to end. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 5, 2013 |
It's amazing how everyone involved put personal agendas aside and made it work. A lesson for corporate America. ( )
  Mortybanks | May 28, 2013 |
First thing's first. I enjoyed this, and as a novel I would have rated it about a 3.5, but as a nonfiction account I would call it a solid 5. When I say that it would have been much lower of a rating as a novel, I say so as a result of the fact that it would have suffered from the key problem with a lot of suspends novels: The sheer number of pages behind the current one always tells you they're going to be fine.

If you are picking up this book, you are doing so knowing enough about Apollo 13 that you know what you're getting into. This book is exactly that: The story of the Apollo 13 near-disaster, told from both the ground and from space, with a concise explanation at the end of what caused it. It reads well, and is definitely worth your time. ( )
  cargocontainer | Jun 19, 2012 |

Jim Lovellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kluger, Jeffreymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

This true adventure is dedicated to those earthbound astronauts: my wife, Marilyn, and my children, Barbara, Jay, Susan, and Jeffrey, who shared with me the fears and anxieties of four days in April, 1970.
- Jim Lovell
With love to my family -- nuclear and extended, past and present -- for providing an always stable orbit.
- Jeffrey Kluger
Nobody knew how the stories about the poison pills got started. (Prologue)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671534645, Mass Market Paperback)

On April 13, 1970, three American astronauts were on their way to the moon when a mysterious explosion rocked their ship, forcing them to abandon the main ship and spend four days in the tiny lunar module which was intended to support two men for two days. A harrowing story of danger, courage and brilliant off-the-cuff engineering solutions which resulted in a dramatic rescue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:42 -0400)

Chronicles the rescue mission to return the crewmen of the Apollo 13 spacecraft safely to earth following an explosion on board.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible