The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every…

The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own

by Nina Garcia

A handy guide to the 100 pieces every woman should have in her wardrobe (or handbag). This list not only includes apparel, but also accessories, shoes, the Crackberry, the iPod, sunglasses, various kinds of hats, makeup, skincare, lingerie, and prints, patterns and colors to include in planning your style. Ms. Garcia provides resources where one can find the items she mentions, at both designer and budget price points. She recommends spending the money for a really good quality item that's going to last you a long time and remain current, and saving on trendier items or items that are not meant to last that long.

The book is divided up by letters of the alphabet, generally three at a time. Once again, as is the case with all Ms. Garcia's books, the lavish illustrations were done by Ruben Toledo, and they are fabulous. ( )
  harrietbrown | May 28, 2011 |
In The One Hundred, fashion expert, Nina Garcia outlines 100 accessories that she deems timeless and classic assets to any woman's wardrobe. The pieces are listed and described in alphabetical order; beginning with A for the A-line dress and ending with Z for the zippered hoodie. Along with explanations as to why the pieces are included in her 100 list, Garcia gives fun trivia and historical facts regarding some of the items. Did you know, for example, that Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses were first designed in 1936 or that the cardigan was named after the seventh Earl of Cardigan in 1874? Garcia also gives helpful advice on selecting items, where to find them, and how to wear them (not all 100 include this information). Another enjoyable addition to the book are quotes, interspersed throughout, such as this one by Helena Rubinstein: There are no ugly women, just lazy ones (for some reason, I find that comforting). For those who fancy "seeing" what the author is describing, The One Hundred includes illustrations of the various fashions mentioned. Personally, I would have preferred photographs. While I did not agree with all of the choices on Garcia's top 100 list, I did find useful information regarding classic pieces as well as practical fashion tips. Recommended for anyone interested in fashion and/or fashion trivia. ( )
2 vote forgetfullibrarian | Mar 26, 2009 |
Adorable illustrations. A straightforward guide to a contemporary, but not too trendy, wardrobe. ( )
2 vote jre503 | Oct 7, 2008 |
Okay, I admit that I am not a Fashionista. I live in a rural area and wear a uniform to work, so the chic part of my wardrobe is slim. But I would love to improve in that area (I keep watching What Not to Wear, hoping something will sink in) and this book is a great guide.

There are quite a few items on this list of 100 that I actually own, surprisingly. Little Black Dress, Wayfarer sunglasses (so glad to learn that those are classic, I've been wearing them since college), Ballet Flats, Cable-Knit sweater, iPod (!), Jeans (of course). L.L. Bean Tote Bag...I have several! Nice to know that I am not as far out of the fashion loop as I thought!

Some entries I will never have, I don't need an evening dress and will never spend the amount of money that will buy a car on an "investment bag." And some don't seem fashionable to me at all. White jeans, do people really wear those? And a Caftan. Really? Didn't think those were ever actually an accepted style. Outside of your own home, that is. But what do I know?

Those examples aside, this is a fun book. There are little boxes throughout with the history of different pieces and "fun facts," too. The brilliant illustrations by Ruben Toledo really make the book. No matter what your level of style, you are sure to find something that you already own listed and it will help you add the essential pieces you might be missing. ( )
3 vote thetometraveller | Sep 24, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061664618, Hardcover)

"Simply put, these items make me feel classic. And there is no substitute for feeling this way. Ever."

In the wildly popular The Little Black Book of Style, fashion authority Nina Garcia showed women how to think about personal style in an entirely new way. Encouraging readers to creatively assert their style identities, Nina showed women of all ages how to hone and self-edit a distinct fashion voice.

With her style philosophy firmly out in the world, Nina decided to address the most popular question readers consistently ask her: Exactly what are fashion's timeless pieces?

The One Hundred answers this question and provides women with a tangible style map to follow when planning a shopping trip and stocking one's closet. With illustrations from world-renowned fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo, The One Hundred contains the 100 items that Nina believes will never go out of style, and that have become absolutely indispensible for any woman reaching for her own eternal fashion look.

About the Author

With her signature eye for style, Nina Garcia is best known for her appearance as the unerring, formidable fashion judge on the hit show Project Runway. An elite authority in the industry, she has worked in fashion houses and in fashion media, with everyone from Marc Jacobs to Elle magazine and Marie Claire. Originally from Colombia, she now makes her home in New York City.

Nina García es más conocida por su presentación como la acertada y extraordinaria jueza de la moda en el exitoso programa de Bravo Project Runway. Nacida en Colombia, es también la directora de moda de Elle, una de las principales revistas de la moda del mundo.

A Look Inside The One Hundred (Click on Images to Enlarge)

Animal Prints The Pencil Skirt The Tuxedo Jacket

Questions for Nina Garcia

Amazon.com: For someone who spends all day around beautiful clothes, it must have been hard to choose just one hundred items--how did you decide on the pieces included in your book?

Nina Garcia: Yes, editing down to one hundred was a tremendous challenge. I also made a point of keeping in mind all the different personalities and fashion moods inherent in a stylish woman. The list is based on classic items that have been around for many years and will continue to be relevant for many years to come. Knowing something about these items are key to a woman’s closet.

Amazon.com: What would you say to the many women who feel that shopping for clothes is a bit overwhelming, considering how many places there are to shop and, perhaps even more difficult, budgets to maintain. How does a woman begin to build the dream wardrobe you've laid out in your book?

Garcia: A good way to begin the process is by being self aware of just what your own style truly is. Turning inward and identifying what one really likes and dislikes, exploring one’s inner fashion voice, and ultimately feeling inspired and building on your self esteem are base blocks for cultivating personal style; all topics I touched upon in my first book, The Little Black Book of Style.

Amazon.com: Some women might feel that 100 items seems like a big number to tackle--could you name, say, five pieces that women should start off with?

Garcia: The DNA of a wardrobe and perhaps the all time best items are: The White Shirt: Endlessly versatile, it can from the weekend to the boardroom to the red carpet. When worn correctly, the white shirt can assume so many different roles. The Little Black Dress: Reliably chic, the LBD can go from classic to dangerously sexy. Stiletto Heels: One of our most powerful feminine weapons of seduction are Stilettos. No need at all to go into what the potential here is. Jeans: One of the most personal items in your closet, always practical, comfortable and carefree. Truly American. Great Jewelry: Real or fake, big or small, jewelry adds a 'personal touch' and can instantly transform an outfit.

Amazon.com: In your book, you say it's definitely ok to purchase basic pieces from discount chains. Any tips for acquiring high end luxury items if you're a shopper on a budget? Or are luxury/designer items even necessary in a woman's wardrobe?

Garcia: The point is to shop for high value in items that will endure for many years, items that will never lose their relevance. Try not to focus on price and name brands. A truly stylish woman makes smart decision based on good taste, and the ability for an item to endure.

Amazon.com: How has your experience as a judge on Project Runway shaped your outlook on fashion?

Garcia: Being on the show has given me even more passion to support the young design talent that dots America. Also, it helps us all consider genius of the creative process. These young designers are the future of our industry, and having a forum from which they can develop their talent for all to see and appreciates is an amazing thing to be a part of.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Exactly what are fashion's timeless pieces? The One Hundred answers this question and provides women with a tangible style map to follow when planning a shopping trip and stocking one's closet. With illustrations from world-renowned fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo, The One Hundred contains the 100 items that Nina believes will never go out of style, and that have become absolutely indispensable for any woman reaching for her own eternal fashion look.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible