Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X.…

Marcelo In The Real World (2009)

by Francisco X. Stork

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (khuggard)
    khuggard: Also narrated by a teen with an Autism Spectrum disorder.
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This book is for adults, but teens who are good readers may like it. It is about an adult with ASD who is given the option to cure himself through an experimental procedure. Very authentic portrayal.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (faither)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Wild Orchid by Beverley Brenna (Miranda_Paige)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (foggidawn)
    Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly (meggyweg)

English (132)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
Narrated by Lincoln Hoppe. Starting out, I was a little fearful because Mr. Hoppe reads in a bit of a monotone. But I soon realized it quite suited Marcelo's personality, very logical and concrete. Eighteen-year-old Marcelo has been long content to attend his special-needs high school and help train therapy horses but Arturo, his lawyer father, insists that this summer Marcelo work at his law firm and learn more about the "real world." The real world is much more than Marcelo bargained for: in the competitive arena of the law firm he finds that situations are more gray than black and white. Marcelo finds a way to understand the deceptions he witnesses but still maintain his core values. Lib notes: rude guy talk about women and sex, animal breeding. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the voice of the main character in this book. It was intriguing to see the world from the narrator's perspective. The author created situations where common questions about the autism spectrum could be answered without making the reader feel less for having those questions or awkward for being curious about the answers. There were parts of the story that didn't really seem to fit. It seemed like the ending tried to very quickly tie everything up into a neat bow when it may have been better if it was left more open ended. ( )
  EllsbethB | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was truly and delightful and heart-felt read. I loved Marcelo's narration from the start and his innocence was touching. However, my favourite character was Jasmine. I admired her strong sense of right and wrong and I loved how she interacted with Marcelo. Although the ending didn't really thrill me, "Marcelo in the Real World" was a poignant and moving novel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Shot with spirtualism, laced with love, and fraught with conundrums, this book, like Marcelo himself, surprises.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

Writing in a first-person narrative, Stork does an amazing job of entering Marcelo's consciousness and presenting him as a dynamic, sympathetic, and wholly believable character.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Wendy Smith-D'Arezzo

. . . in the skillful hands of Francisco X. Stork, 17-year-old Marcelo Sandoval is the bravest, most original hero I’ve met in years.

Stork introduces ethical dilemmas, the possibility of love, and other real world conflicts, all the while preserving the integrity of his characterizations and intensifying the novel's psychological and emotional stakes. Not to be missed.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

For Ruth, my mother
"Marcelo, are you ready?"
The term "cognitive disorder" implies there is something wrong with the way I think or the way I perceive reality. I perceive reality just fine. Sometimes I perceive more of reality than others.
I stay up listening to her fall asleep, feeling how it is not to be alone.
The right note sounds right and the wrong note sounds wrong.

Marcelo Sandoval hears music that nobody else can hear–part of an autism-like condition that no doctor has been able to identify. But his father has never fully believed in the music or Marcelo’s differences, and he challenges Marcelo to work in the mailroom of his law firm for the summer. . . to join “the real world.”

There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. He learns about competition and jealousy, anger and desire. But it’s a picture he finds in a file–a picture of a girl with half a face–that truly connects him with the real world: its suffering, its injustice, and what he can do to fight.

Reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the intensity and purity of its voice, this extraordinary audiobook is a love story, a legal drama, and a celebration of the music each of us hears inside.

Imagine CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG . . . with a romance, and you have the beginnings of this story of a young man struggling with the world outside his head--and the woman who gets inside it.

Marcelo Sandoval hears music no one else can hear--part of the autism-like impairment no doctor has been able to identify--and he's always attended a special school where his differences have been protected. But the summer after his junior year, his father demands that Marcelo work in his law firm's mailroom in order to experience "the real world." There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. (cont'd)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

Marcelo Sandoval, a seventeen-year-old boy on the high-functioning end of the autistic spectrum, faces new challenges, including romance and injustice, when he goes to work for his father in the mailroom of a corporate law firm.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible