Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X.…

Marcelo In The Real World (2009)

by Francisco X. Stork

Recently added byHeatherMoss, Zjade, 7Rivers, private library, davidgn, KBontempo
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (khuggard)
    khuggard: Also narrated by a teen with an Autism Spectrum disorder.
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This book is for adults, but teens who are good readers may like it. It is about an adult with ASD who is given the option to cure himself through an experimental procedure. Very authentic portrayal.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (faither)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Wild Orchid by Beverley Brenna (Miranda_Paige)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (foggidawn)
    Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly (meggyweg)

English (124)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (127)
Marcelo is a teenager with Asperger's syndrome whose father decides that Marcelo should work in the mailroom of his high-powered law firm for the summer. Marcelo would much rather work with the therapeutic ponies at the special school he attends. In the "real" world, Marcelo faces new challenges every day. I considered four stars for this book because of the way the author takes the reader into the mind and thinking of Marcelo. I would probably go for a 3.5! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Wow. A little bit like Born on a Blue Day or Flowers for Algernon - but it's not just getting to know the character that's exciting, it's also the mystery that he gets involved in. Excellent for lots of readers of diverse interests. Recommended for mature teens and adults, though, not innocent or early teens (lots of sexual references that might make a sheltered young person feel weird). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Loved this! I got so engrossed I had to give up on the audiobook and go get a paper copy so I could finish more quickly. Marcelo is one of my favorite fictional characters of the past few years: sweet, thoughtful, strong, engaging, admirable, sympathetic. The book itself is both deep and light, thought-provoking and funny. I am impressed by how so many different elements can be combined into a single book so naturally. And I particularly appreciated the portrayal of religious characters who are not caricatures. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
So many insights in this book about the ugliness and beauty of the "real" world. It makes you question who should be adapting to whose world. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
Seventeen-year-old Marcelo Sandoval is happy attending his special school, helping with the horses in the stable at the school and going home to his special tree house. But his father Arturo thinks he needs to become a part of the real world. So he tells Marcelo that he will have to work in Arturo’s law firm for the summer. If Marcelo is successful, he may attend his special school in the fall. If not, he must attend the local public school. Marcelo doesn’t want to leave his school where he is in his own comfort zone and where he likes the stable work. So he decides to do his best at the summer job in the law firm. He meets and friends Jasmine who is his mentor in the mailroom. She helps him to discover his place in the law firm and in the real world. Woven into the plot is an instance of how social injustice sometimes exists in our legal system. As the summer progresses, Marcelo uncovers just such a case that is being handled by the law firm and finds that he is faced with a very big and important decision that could change not only his life but also the lives of those who work in the law firm.

The book is about an innocent teenage boy who suffers from Asperger’s syndrome and who lives in his own little world of school, horses, religion and music. Through the events in the book, he begins to learn how to function in the real world. He finds out that he will have to deal with many different types of people including some who are not so honorable. Stork takes his character realistically through this transition although I know in real life that such a transition probably wouldn’t happen quite that quickly. I really liked that the author made me think like Marcelo as I read the book and in so doing I could empathize with him. It gave me some insight into how someone on the spectrum might think and react to the outside world. Reading this book would help the teenager better understand how someone with a disability might have difficulty functioning in the real world. ( )
  WizardsofWorch | Apr 9, 2014 |
Shot with spirtualism, laced with love, and fraught with conundrums, this book, like Marcelo himself, surprises.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper
Writing in a first-person narrative, Stork does an amazing job of entering Marcelo's consciousness and presenting him as a dynamic, sympathetic, and wholly believable character.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Wendy Smith-D'Arezzo
. . . in the skillful hands of Francisco X. Stork, 17-year-old Marcelo Sandoval is the bravest, most original hero I’ve met in years.
Stork introduces ethical dilemmas, the possibility of love, and other real world conflicts, all the while preserving the integrity of his characterizations and intensifying the novel's psychological and emotional stakes. Not to be missed.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly
For Ruth, my mother
"Marcelo, are you ready?"
The term "cognitive disorder" implies there is something wrong with the way I think or the way I perceive reality. I perceive reality just fine. Sometimes I perceive more of reality than others.
I stay up listening to her fall asleep, feeling how it is not to be alone.
The right note sounds right and the wrong note sounds wrong.

Marcelo Sandoval hears music that nobody else can hear–part of an autism-like condition that no doctor has been able to identify. But his father has never fully believed in the music or Marcelo’s differences, and he challenges Marcelo to work in the mailroom of his law firm for the summer. . . to join “the real world.”

There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. He learns about competition and jealousy, anger and desire. But it’s a picture he finds in a file–a picture of a girl with half a face–that truly connects him with the real world: its suffering, its injustice, and what he can do to fight.

Reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the intensity and purity of its voice, this extraordinary audiobook is a love story, a legal drama, and a celebration of the music each of us hears inside.

Imagine CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG . . . with a romance, and you have the beginnings of this story of a young man struggling with the world outside his head--and the woman who gets inside it.

Marcelo Sandoval hears music no one else can hear--part of the autism-like impairment no doctor has been able to identify--and he's always attended a special school where his differences have been protected. But the summer after his junior year, his father demands that Marcelo work in his law firm's mailroom in order to experience "the real world." There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. (cont'd)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

Marcelo Sandoval, a seventeen-year-old boy on the high-functioning end of the autistic spectrum, faces new challenges, including romance and injustice, when he goes to work for his father in the mailroom of a corporate law firm.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible