HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Big news! LibraryThing is now free to all! Read the blog post and discuss the change on Talk.
dismiss
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Prince of the Blood by Raymond E. Feist
Loading...
MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,963203,171 (3.64)17
Updated and revised with new material for its 15th anniversary, this special edition presents the novel--with its sweeping imagination, wonderfully drawn characters, and dark intrigue--as Feist always meant for it to be written.

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 17 mentions

English (19)  French (1)  All languages (20)
Showing 1-5 of 19 (next | show all)
When I first thought of reading these books back in the 90's, I had some sort of presentiment that I wouldn't like it half as much as the Magician books... and so I let it go by the wayside. Now, so many years later, I decided to go back and pick up all the rest of the Feist novels and finally enjoy them anyway. The author has proven a lot of staying power... and it's for good reason.

THIS WAS GREAT! :)

Prince Arutha's twin sons, Erland and Borric, begin a couple of troublemakers who get into just enough trouble to be sent away as diplomats to straighten them out. After Borric seems to have been killed only to be sent into slavery, the two brothers have a very wild and impressive fantasy adventure ranging from escaping a sea blockade, taking up with mercenaries, and falling in with the scantily-clad Kesh royalty as schemes and plots come to a boil. Treason and a coup is part of the table settings. :)

Sound pretty standard? It would be except Feist writes one hell of a fast, fun, and awesome tale. It's more than just a coming-of-age tale. It's popcorn adventure with cameos of so many of our favorites from the previous novels. Jimmy the Hand has a big role and Pug comes and goes, but it's Pug's daughter who rather stole the stage a few times. :)

I was never once bored as I read this. I had a great time throughout. :) The worldbuilding is just as fun as the characters and the plot is more than fine. It's complicated enough to keep any adventure freak on their toes. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
It had been a long time since I first read this (and this is the first time I've read the re-written version), and I was surprised at the quick pace of this one compared to the original Riftwar trilogy.
Honestly? this one is fluff. But it's fun, exciting fluff that makes for engaging reading. Also, there's Nakor, who is one of the most memorable characters in Feist's entire universe. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Nov 6, 2019 |
Weer een deel uit deze sage uit. Jammer dat er zo'n groot tijdsverschil zit tussen dit boek en [b:Duisternis over Sethanon|17789928|Duisternis over Sethanon (De oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #3)|Raymond E. Feist|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|15940], namelijk 18 jaar. 18 Jaar waarin veel gebeurt schijnt te zijn, waar we nu nog geen weet van hebben. Tenzij het in een van de nog te lezen boeken nog ter sprake komt.

De tweeling, Borric en Erland, van prins Arutha zijn in het begin niets meer dan een stelletje lastposten. Ze nemen het niet zo nauw met hun vaders opdrachten. Om hen in bedwang te houden, stuurt Arutha op een diplomatieke missie naar Kesh. Na een vechtpartij in een zandstorm verliezen de tweeling elkaar uit het oog. Erland denkt dat zijn broer dood is, maar later blijkt dat hij gevangen is genomen door een slavenhandelaar. Borland doet er alles aan om te ontsnappen en met hulp van een huurling, een bedelaarsjongen en Nakur, een Isalanische oplichter en magiër, lukt het uiteindelijk om in het Keizerlijke kasteel te komen.

Dit boek bevat de nodige intriges, magie etc. Helaas dit keer geen draken :(.

Jammer van de twee doden, op zijn minst had Borric een staatsbegrafenis kunnen regelen voor de bedelaarsjongen Suli Abdul, die tijdens een gevecht voor hem stierf.

Op naar het volgende deel ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
Going more or less in publication order, Prince of the Blood is the third subseries in Raymond E. Feist’s larger Riftwar Cycle. I say “more or less” because this book was published between the first and second books in the previous subseries. To keep things more cohesive, I’m reading in “publication order of first book in subseries” rather than strict publication order. I think after this subseries, those two orders will amount to the same thing. When I originally read the first 16ish books, I read them in chronological order which is yet a different order altogether. This book takes place after a subseries that was published later. Since these books focus less on the generation I was most attached to, I’m glad to know I still have some books ahead of me that will take me back in time.

Note: The spoilers in this paragraph are to protect anybody who may be in the middle of reading the first subseries that starts with Magician. If you’ve read that entire series, this won’t spoil anything. This subseries focuses on the twin sons of Prince Arutha, who are 19 when the story begins. They aren’t bad kids, but they’re spoiled and a bit self-absorbed. (And that’s something I initially had some trouble buying into. They’re the sons of the most awesome, no-nonsense, and not-remotely-spoiled-or-self-absorbed Arutha, after all!) The twins are sent off on a diplomatic visit which turns into an unexpected adventure.

I actually enjoyed this book quite a lot, more than I expected to or remembered enjoying it the first time. I would have liked more focus on some of my favorites, but I grew to like the twins quite well. There was also a lot of humor. And there was Nakor! I had completely forgotten about his character until he showed up and pulled an orange out of that mysterious sack of his, then suddenly it all came flooding back to me. Aside from that, there were some sad moments also. I had completely forgotten that Lockyear died. I’m not sure I remember it even now that I’ve read it again. I was sure he was going to show up alive because I didn’t remember him dying. How does one forget something like that? And the death of the young boy who was helping Borric was at least as sad if not more.

I did have one big complaint, though. Feist has already shown a habit of taking two characters who barely know each other and making them fall madly in love with each other, i.e. “instalove”. This book had the most “insta” instalove I have ever seen. One of our characters meets a girl, falls in love with her, and is asking her father for her hand in marriage all within the course of a morning. Spoilers for this book: I’m talking about Jimmy and Gamina. I think it made me even more angry because it was Jimmy, who is such a great character and this just seemed out of left field. I think this was done more to get Gamina on the trip with them so she could give the characters a way to talk privately with her mind speech. She hardly served any purpose in the story other than to be a conduit for that. So at least there wasn’t a ton of annoying lovey-dovey stuff after the initial meeting, but it just all felt very forced and false and annoying. Plus there’s Feist’s tendency to portray marriage as the only thing that can make a person truly happy and fulfilled, especially if they’ve had a difficult past. Their great accomplishments and skills and friendships mean nothing if they haven’t yet met their soulmate, they’re really just a miserable person deep down. Blech! :p

It turns out that the edition I just finished was a 15-year-anniversary “Author’s Preferred Edition” that was revised in 2003. I had no idea. Yeah, it’s printed pretty clearly on the cover, but I read e-books and I tend not to notice covers that much. I also never read book blurbs, so if it’s mentioned on Amazon’s product page, I didn’t read it. I finally found out when I read the Author’s Afterward at the end of the book. I’m pretty sure this version was published after I read the book, so I think I originally read his original version. This may explain why I liked it better than I remembered, as he said one of the things he wanted to do was to better develop the twins, and I did quite enjoy their characters whereas they didn’t make any impression on me the first time I read this. I was also thoroughly confused earlier on in the book because there were occasional references to things that happened (I’m pretty sure) in the subseries that takes place before this one chronologically but wasn’t published until several years later. I actually went back and double-checked publication dates, feeling like I had somehow missed something. I guess maybe Feist went back and threw in a few references. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Oct 13, 2019 |
Set approx 20 years after the Riftwar, the story revolving around Arutha's twin sons. Boric is kidnapped by slavers and is dodging assasins. Erland finds himself embroiled in the intrigues of Kesh's Empire. The sons mature and grow greatly, while managing political intrigue.
( )
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Showing 1-5 of 19 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (11 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aher, JackieMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heufkens, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, KevinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
This book is dedicated with love to my wife,
Kathlyn Starbuck,
who makes everything make sense
First words
The inn was quiet.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.64)
0.5 1
1 5
1.5 3
2 30
2.5 12
3 151
3.5 31
4 187
4.5 14
5 78

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,594,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible