The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, Book 1) by…

The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, Book 1) (1927)

by Franklin W. Dixon

Recently added byfogleem, private library, BookEndsIntl, LauraJKeys, BahayPag-Asa, nhvalus, dr_vblschrf, SStehlik
    Tom Swift and His Great Oil Gusher by Victor Appleton (ChrisSlavens)
    ChrisSlavens: Fans of the Hardy Boys may enjoy Tom Swift's adventures, and vice versa. Both series were produced by the Stratemeyer Syndicate.
    Poppy Ott's Seven-League Stilts by Leo Edwards (FrederFrederson)

English (18)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (19)
Very nice book. I like it much. Nice to know how Hardy boys start their carrier. ( )
  Sonkku | Dec 20, 2013 |
The best boy mystery ever! The sons of Fenton Hardy, the great detective, go on their first mystery that includes thievery, a set-up, and extreme dangers. Frank and Joe Hardy are the sons of the Fenton Hardy. Frank being the oldest at 18 by 1 year. Joe being 17 years old. Their friend's, Tony Prito, father is being set up for the crime by a notorious thief named John "Red" Jackley. A notorious thief known for wearing red wigs as a disguise.
The thief stole securities and jewelry from the Applegates. The thief stole Chets car as a getaway car. They find John "Red" Jackley. He is dying so he tells he hid it in the old tower. Everyone thinks it is hidden in the applegates mansion old tower. Yet the Hardy boys find out he meant the old train station tower. They search under a pieces of wood and find the securities and jewels. ( )
  richardr.b4 | Oct 27, 2013 |
Like seemingly all of the other reviewers here, I read the Hardy Boys books in the 1970s, as a child, for the most part in those familiar blue-spined editions, most of which I obtained at the library. I was an obsessive series reader, going through the Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, and The Three Investigators before moving to more adult pastures in my early teens. Recently, I've come across boxes of my old books going back to childhood, and found that I owned several more of these titles - but still not that many - than I remembered. And, in the past few years, when I've seen books from these series in the second-hand shops, I've picked them up, thinking that my son or daughter might be interested in reading them.

So it was a mixture of nostalgias that led me to read the original version of The Tower Treasure. Read through the eyes of someone just into their forties, but with a fair eye for history, it's a light, entertaining read, strangely stilted at times, and at other times striking in the degree of liberty apparently given to young boys in the 1920s (not, obviously, that these are documentaries in any way). The story is straightforward enough, and not really challenging as a mystery - but why would it need to be? This was entertainment for boys long since gone, generations ago, in a time which - although no less complex than our own - had its own rewards and its own challenges. It is easy to see their charm and innocence, and this book was likable just for that. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
Last night, my friend and I ended up crashing at another friend's house. We wanted to drink, so we stayed there and watched a movie and had tasty margaritas made for us in an absurdly tiny blender. Awesome, right? Well, the downside comes when my allergies wake me up at 9 in the morning. I neglected to bring along a book, not planning to be there overnight. At least I have my iPod Touch with some Kindle books loaded on it, I thought. Nope, I forgot it at home. Everyone else is sleeping and I don't have a book! Obviously, I did what anyone would do, raided their library for something I could read during the morning. That's how I came to read The Tower Treasure.

To my knowledge, I never read The Hardy Boys when I was younger, though I think I did read a few volumes of Nancy Drew. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I thought it was about two young brothers who solved crimes, but I think I mixed it up with Encyclopedia Brown, which I did read way back when. In fact, the Hardy boys are 17 (Joe) and 18 (Frank). I was rather surprised they were so old since these books are for kids.

The scene opens on a country road with our young heroes riding on their motorcycles. They spot a car coming up fast and swerving all over the road. Fearful for their lives, the boys climb off the motorcycles and climb an embankment, leaving their motorcycles to be completely squashed. Lucky for their transportation, the car turns off the road before it gets there. They get back on their motorcycles and ride away, but the car comes back, having turned down a dead-end road and nearly runs them down.

The boys run their errand, dropping off a package for their detective father (the best in the world) who they totally hero-worship, as good children do. On the way home, they pass the car they saw, now crashed on the side of the road. The driver is nowhere to be seen. Rather than contacting the authorities, Frank and Joe decide to go hang out with their friend Chet.

At Chet's, the boys find more mysterious doings: Chet's car has been stolen! LE GASP! Someone took off in his precious yellow jalopy! Seriously, these kids are so spoiled. I'm pretty sure it was fairly rare for people to have cars in 1927 when this was first published, but they pretty much all have transportation and not just borrowed from dear old dad. The boys set out, with Chuck in tow, to chase after the car thief, convinced that their motorcycles are much faster, even though they couldn't outrun that car earlier. Plot hole, you say?

I don't want to spoil everything for you, because I'm sure you'll want to enjoy the unspoiled mastery of the detective work that unspools within The Tower Treasure. Frank and Joe use such unparalleled techniques as: visiting every single shop in town that might have seen a man in a wig, searching every inch of town for Chet's car with their popular buddies, and asking daddy. These boys clearly have a promising future.

The writing is quite stilted to a modern reader, and I'm not convinced it was even great for the time. One of the boys says "Have you any idea," which seemed like very odd phrasing for a hip teen. Callie, Frank's girl, on finding out that Chet's car has been stolen, responds "that's a shame." What a caring girl. Also strange is that, when offered money to help a costume store owner with his inventory, Frank and Joe say they want to work for free because it sounds fun.

Of course, the book also has plenty of sexism. The boys and men in this novel are all working hard to bring down the criminal. The women spend the entirety of the book making food to take to the people affected by the bad guy's crime spree. No joke. Frank and Joe's girlfriends keep asking them what's going on and the boys promise to fill them in later, but never do, because obviously ladies have more important things to do, like make cake. To be fair, the boys do help cook in one scene, but they leave to do some investigating (the call is totally coming from inside the house) and the girls finish the cooking alone.

The mystery plot line itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and is rather unsatisfying. The blurb on Goodreads even totally spoils it, so that's fun. As stupid as most of the actions taken by the Hardy boys to figure out the mystery are, this isn't the sort of mystery the reader can solve, since the guilty party has exactly no screen time in the book. This is lazy plotting. Also, despite the father's purported insane skill at being a detective, his sons wrap up the case, which I assume is only because he wanted them to earn the thousand dollar reward and save him some money on their college tuition.

All in all, The Tower Treasure was humorous and gave me something to do with my morning, but I wouldn't say that it was a good book, nor that I will be hunting down the rest of the series.

Read more of my reviews at ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Nostalgia. When I was a young man, or younger than a young man, I delved and consumed Hardy Boy books as if they were the best thing ever. I remember that they had a section of these for sale in May Company in the mall. And if the next book in the series wasn't there on the shelf, we were devastated, and needed to bug our parents to come back again and again to get it. Maybe even travel over to another bookstore and hope that they might have it. Bookstores were not everywhere when I was unable to drive myself. Much as they are becoming again.

First books in a series, a long series, do their best to introduce the various characters that will be in the series. This does that. It also gives us a little caper to follow through on. Perhaps an enticement that will make us love mysteries for the remainder of our lives.

From the perspective of a child this is done, and probably done well. Though I imagine that the age at which one appreciates this has trended younger. And now as an adult, reading many mysteries and even writing a few, know about trying to pull the reader along, this does not hold for an adult.

It works as a piece of Nostalgia and another time, another era, a remembrance for me of when I was young and clamoring for more of the series. But as an adult, perhaps something to share with a 'Tweener. But for it's own sake, there are much more tales with depth that I as an adult are more captivated by. ( )
  DWWilkin | Dec 2, 2012 |

Franklin W. Dixonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rogers, Walter S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"After the help we gave dad on that forgery case I guess he'll begin to think we could be detectives when we grow up."

Grownups will remember Frank and Joe Hardy and their ability to solve even the most baffling of mysteries. The first book was published in 1927, and over the years the series has sold over 50 million copies. But mysteriously, the original books have disappeared. Now, Applewood is pleased to present The Tower Treasure, the very first Hardy Boys mystery ever published.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:00 -0400)

When the Hardys' wealthy neighbor is robbed, Joe and Frank are asked by their father to help solve the case.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,934,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible