Rocket Man by William Elliott Hazelgrove

Rocket Man (2008)

by William Elliott Hazelgrove

There are plenty of reviews here with synopsis of the story, so I won't double up on that. Just read this book! You won't be disappointed. I laughed out loud many times throughout Rocket Man, and shed real tears at the story's climax. I give this novel my two highest compliments... 1) This would make a GREAT movie! Pay attention, Hollywood! - and - 2) I am going to track down more work by this author. I want to read more! ( )
  FelixWhelan | Jun 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book as an Early Reviewer five years ago, but never received it! When it came up as a free ebook, I recognized it, and ordered it. I actually enjoyed it very much. It was kind of a slow read, but I liked the main character, Dale, and wanted things to work for him. ( )
  poolays | Nov 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really did like this book. I had sympathy for Dale because I saw some of him in me. Trying to make ends meet and forgetting about family and the things that matter the most. I was glad that it all worked out and that he stood up to the scout master that was more like an army officer. Second copy. Did not remember I had already read it. Different cover. ( )
  libraryclerk | Feb 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Formula is there but writng & story just didn't do it for me. ( )
2 vote munkygone2hevn | Aug 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
William Hazelgrove's novel, "Rocket Man", is reminiscent of Richard Russo's writing. Both portray the plight of the average man with irony and wit. Implicit in this shared motif, are the vagaries found within the American Dream. Broken men with disintegrating marriages, questionable parenting skills and diminishing incomes flavor their novels. How they depict this is unique to their individual and refined styles. Hazelgrove handles the subject eloquently. His adages are not a burden nor redundant. He depicts a "happy" ending without becoming trite or sugary. Where there is a deeper context that flows through Russo's writing, Hazelgrove's comes in a close second. Rocket Man is a thoughtful and entertaining read.

Received via LibraryThing Early Reviewer's ( )
  BALE | Apr 27, 2011 |

THE FUNNIEST NOVEL OF THE ELECTION YEAR. William Elliott Hazelgrove’s Rocket Man is in the tradition of Richard Russo’s Nobody’s Fool, Richard Ford’s Independence Day and Tom Poratta‘s Election; all three writers coming to grips with contemporary life in the suburbs. Rocket Man is a satire of life today. Dale Hammer is trying to get his piece of the American Dream, but he just can’t keep up. In one week, Dale is accused of cutting down the sign to his subdivision, plagued with a father who comes to live over his garage and on the hook for being the Rocket Man of his son’s Scout troop. In a time when the American Dream has become nothing short of being rich and famous, Dale heads for the catastrophe of Rocket Day with one mission—to give his son a sense of independence, and in the process, find himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Elliott Hazelgrove's book Rocket Man was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

William Elliott Hazelgrove is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible