Keeping a Rendezvous by John Berger

Keeping a Rendezvous

by John Berger

John Berger remains my current literary obsession and I will gladly read anything he has put to paper. That being said, I prefer his fiction and straight-up art books to his essay collections, mostly because his essays are too damn good for me to read right before bed. They keep my brain churning. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |

When he stands before Giorgione's La Tempesta, John Berger sees not only the painting but our whole notion of time, sweeping us away from a lost Eden. A photograph of a gravely joyful crowd gathered on a Prague street in November 1989 provokes reflection on the meaning of democracy and the reunion of a people with long-banished hopes and dreams.

With the luminous essays in Keeping a Rendezvous, we are given to see the world as Berger sees it -- to explore themes suggested by the work of Jackson Pollock or J. M. W. Turner, to contemplate the wonder of Paris. Rendezvous are manifold: between critic and art, artist and subject, subject and the unknown. But most significant are the rendezvous between author and reader, as we discover our perceptions informed by John Berger's eloquence and courageous moral imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible