The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson

The Illustrated Mum (1999)

by Jacqueline Wilson

Suffers in comparison to Small as an Elephant which I just read and which is very similar, and is not much richer than Stop Pretending... which is the same theme of how does a child cope with a family member who's bipolar, but in that case it's the big sister, not the mother.

This is lighter, and longer, until near the end when it gets really intense... and then the wrapping up is basically implausible HEA. I recommend you read at least one of these if you're interested in, or naive about, mental illness. But I recommend Small as an Elephant most highly.

Not sure how three such similar books got on my list and I acquired them all at once... if I see any others on my list I'll skip 'em, take them off. None of these help me understand better, or better cope with, the family member I know who won't take his meds.

I think, maybe, part of the reason I read this is because of who the author is... but I'll have to check. I might read more from her, depending.

Oh, and even though the MC in this is ten (maybe 11), I would recommend it only for kids at least that old - I don't think it's a good fit for younger kids even if they do 'read up' to a higher level. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A sad story for younger readers dealing with mental illness. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A YA novel that gives a surprisingly honest portrayal of a woman's mental illness and its effects on her two daughters. The novel is narrated her youngest daughter, 10-year-old Dolphin. High school student Star is a practical, angry teen. Their mother, Marigold, is covered in tattoos and alternating between manic and depressive behavior. The family is constantly on the brink of being homeless and the girls essentially have to take care of themselves and their mother. After Star's father turns up and she goes to live with him, Marigold mental illness becomes more acute and she suffers a complete breakdown. The novel gives a very good description of the trauma families, especially children, go through when experiencing mental illness in the family. Scary, sad and gritty—not a book for every young reader. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Nov 10, 2014 |
Jacqueline Wilson stories make me think of Marian Keyes, if Keyes wrote for tweens. If I were 12, this story might affect me like as a Mary Gaitskill plot affects an adult -- it's really quite disturbing. But then, I'm of the 'fiction as inoculation' school of thought. ( )
  LynleyS | Feb 8, 2014 |
An excellent book. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Oct 23, 2013 |

Jacqueline Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sharratt, NickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440420431, Paperback)

Covered from head to toe with one-of-a-kind tattoos, Marigold is the brightest, most beautiful mother in the world. At least, that’s what Dolphin thinks—she just wishes Marigold wouldn’t stay out quite so late or have mood spells every now and again. Dolphin’s older sister, Star, loves Marigold too, but she’s tired of looking after her. So when Star’s dad shows up out of the blue and offers to let the girls stay with him, Star jumps at the opportunity. But Dolphin can’t bear to leave Marigold alone. Now it’s just the two of them, and Dolphin is about to be in over her head. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:22 -0400)

I think Marigold's the most bright, beautiful Mum in the world. She's totally covered in tattoos, she had a new one done for her birthday. Most people think she's a dreadful mother. Even my big sister gets cross when she forgets to buy food or pay the bills. But I know Marigold loves us and she never means to stay out all night and leave us on our own. Suggested level: intermediate, junior secondary.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,721,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible