The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson

The Illustrated Mum (1999)

by Jacqueline Wilson

An excellent book. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Oct 23, 2013 |
Marigold loves her daughters a lot. But she loves herself far more. She sees them as children to be formed in her own egotistical image to reflect what she wants the world to think of her. She has one adoring child and one who is beginning to want her own life and not want to look after her mother anymore. Both desperately seek an adequate parent instead of some weird 'best friend' and put their hope in absent and previously unknown fathers.

The mother predictably has a breakdown, predictably over a man, and the daughters, predictably find that fathers just aren't people you can rely on either. But they have each other and back they go into their old life of looking after mum again.

I enjoyed this book, I enjoyed the film too. I wonder what my perspective on it would have been if I'd been between 10 and 15, the target audience? Probably I would have adored the hippie mother rather than despised her selfishness and thought what good kids the daughters were enabling her to behave so badly and dress so well. And just as the author intended I too wouldn't have been able to see the possibly of help that didn't involve losing their ditsy mother. Hindsight is easy, especially with books. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
We always love our mums, don't we? Star and Dolphin definitely love their mum, Marigold, though she's a difficult mum to love. For starters, she's covered head to toe in strange tattoos, and, second, she's not always there for her daughters. Such an eccentric mum makes life complicated and disturbing for the two girls. When Marigold comes home from a rock concert with Star's dad, Micky (not Dolphin's dad---he is a different Micky, it turns out), life becomes much more complicated and disturbing.

An unexpectedly complex look at a complex person and her complex sister and her complex mother. Recommended. ( )
  debnance | Sep 11, 2011 |
Marigold is covered head to toe in tattoos. She has two daughters called Dolphin and Star. They both love her but Star grows to old for her and when Micky,her dad, arrives she leaves with him. Marigold is so upset she gets ill turning Dolphin's world upside down ( )
  Simred258 | Feb 20, 2008 |
What would you do if your mom is more like a fun older sister than a mom? Join Dolphin and Star as they try to take care of their mother who becomes more and more unstable. They will have to learn whether they need to take care of themselves or their mother.
  prkcs | Jan 31, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440420431, Paperback)

Covered from head to toe with one-of-a-kind tattoos, Marigold is the brightest, most beautiful mother in the world. At least, that’s what Dolphin thinks—she just wishes Marigold wouldn’t stay out quite so late or have mood spells every now and again. Dolphin’s older sister, Star, loves Marigold too, but she’s tired of looking after her. So when Star’s dad shows up out of the blue and offers to let the girls stay with him, Star jumps at the opportunity. But Dolphin can’t bear to leave Marigold alone. Now it’s just the two of them, and Dolphin is about to be in over her head. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:27 -0400)

I think Marigold's the most bright, beautiful Mum in the world. She's totally covered in tattoos, she had a new one done for her birthday. Most people think she's a dreadful mother. Even my big sister gets cross when she forgets to buy food or pay the bills. But I know Marigold loves us and she never means to stay out all night and leave us on our own. Suggested level: intermediate, junior secondary.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible