The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot

The Tale of One Bad Rat

by Bryan Talbot

English (21)  Danish (1)  All languages (22)
Good, but a little too didactic for me. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
I figured this for one of those graphic novels that starts off depressing and gets even more so, but this book actually had an uplifting ending. The art surprised me. I don't like how Bryan Talbot draws people, but his illustrations of the English Lakeside District were beautiful. His story, of a runaway girl dealing with her past of sexual abuse, was meaningful and poignant.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Great little story, I liked the art style and the connection to Beatrix Potter, but it did feel a little rushed. The ending especially felt a bit forced and unrealistic; the dialogue in Helen's confrontation with her father felt like it had just been copy-pasted from a psychologist's book on child abuse. Not that I'm an expert, but it seemed to me to be a pretty unrealistic depiction of the way an actual victim of child abuse would talk or act. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Helen Potter is a homeless runaway teen in England. She's escaped her sexually abusive father and takes refuge with her Beatrix Potter books and sketches. Memory flashbacks haunt her daily. She's taken in by fellow street kids but takes off when one their cats kills her beloved pet rat. She ends up in the countryside of the English Lake District where she's taken in by a kindly couple who run a restaurant. Helen would be content to stay there forever but realizes she must first confront her father.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I often pick up a graphic novel when I walk by where they are on display at the Santa Clara City Library at Central Park. There are so many I usually let a cover or a title draw me to borrow a book. This cover drew me because Neil Gaiman wrote a foreword for it and it is an odd cover. It turns out the author/illustrator started out planning to write a mainstream story about a character that runs to the Lakes Country in England where Beatrix Potter lived and worked. As motivation for the character to run away he chose child abuse. The issue was so absorbing and important the author/illustrator had to change his focus onto the problem of child abuse. The journey to the Lakes Country becomes more of a background theme. I think this has become a classic and an important book in that it helps victims of child abuse to recognize they can talk about it and find help. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This graphic novel is one of the classics, a book that speaks to everyone and demonstrates the maturity of the medium. Its beauty encourages the spirit, providing hope for growth while overcoming a terrible past.

for Mary
Once upon a time, there was a very bad rat...

A dark, blunt look at a homeless girl, Helen; the abuse that got her there, and the experiences and people that help improve her life.

Helen Potter lived a happy life until she got lost in a nightmare of sexual abuse. Now she's on a journey... a journey which takes her through urban and rural England along the same path that another Potter, Beatrix Potter, once took. Across the decades, two lives touch, and Helen discovers that the strength of two is far greater than one.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible