Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance by…

Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance

by Matthew Kneale

Matthew Kneale's ENGLISH PASSENGERS is one of my favorite books ever, so I was excited to see his new collection of short stories. I like short stories, but my favorites might never make one of Updike's lists of bests; I love H.H. Munro, not so wild about Alice Munro. These stories seemed to fit the bill perfectly for me.

Kneale's title is well-chosen as several of the characters are, to some degree, reprehensible. As I read the stories, I had this sort of internal dialogue running:

"I'd *never* do anything like that. Ever."

"You might, if pushed."

"Nuh-unh. Not me."

"You never know..."

Many of the characters left me feeling just a bit oily. But, the stories were very well told, and the settings were interesting, as many were exotic to me. ( )
  jennyo | Mar 28, 2006 |
None of it would ever have happened if Tania had not become best friends with Sarah Spence.

Matthew Kneale takes us on a journey around today's uncertain world. From England to South America, China to the Middle East, the United States to Africa, Kneale applies his gifts as a master storyteller, vividly capturing the lives of ordinary people as they struggle to live, and to do the right thing, often managing neither. By turns painful, moving and wickedly funny, Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance gains momentum until the world seems to be revealed to us in a new way. This is a groundbreaking work by a master of the uncertainties of our time. 'Every bit the equal of his Whitbread winner English Passengers , this collection of short stories is instantly engaging ...With the precision of an assassin, Kneale propels his readers towards killer punchlines ...the wit and ease of his style make this a thoroughly pleasurable way to pique one's conscience' Time Out 'Kneale does not judge. Like a film director in a silent sequence, he reveals. He is witty, compassionate; he understands all sides' Independent 'The title is a cunning one, anticipating ironies and paradoxes that run through this collection of stories ...It is good to have [Matthew Kneale] back. He is a well-travelled writer, at ease in a wide range of fictional settings ...a fine, subtle talent' Sunday Telegraph

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:36 -0400)

Set in lands ranging from England to China, South America, the Middle East, and Africa, these stories follow ordinary people as they try to survive and make sense of their worlds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible