Torch by Cheryl Strayed

3 1/2!stars. This fiction book reads like a memoir; I think it must be based on Cheryl Strayed's own life. I liked the book, but it was kind of sad. The book was written prior to the author's book, Wild, but it it had a lot of the same elements. Ms. Strayed is a good writer and I enjoyed the book. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
Cheryl Strayed could re-write the phone book and I would read it. This book spirals in and out in the best of ways illustrating the grief and b.s. that happens to a family when it loses a member. ( )
  Brainannex | Jan 9, 2014 |
How one family in small-town Minnesota handles grief. I come from not-quite-so-small town Wisconsin, right on the border of Minnesota, but my mother is from a town of 326 in northern Minnesota. I enjoyed the touches of home.

If you have any personal battles with cancer, you may or may not want to read this - I currently have a cat with a 3-month-old cancer diagnosis. He's doing wonderfully but it's still just painfully raw. This was a very hard book to read and brought back a lot of difficult feelings. Even writing this is very hard. Perhaps for people who have humans with cancer and have a more similar struggle this might be a cathartic thing; I can't say. For me it was just very painful.

The writing was still very, very good. I look forward to reading Strayed's other work. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jan 2, 2014 |
Good writing and a compelling story. This is Cheryl Strayed's first published novel and is very autobiographical. I think it could do with some editing, but it is pretty darn good for a first book. Ms. Strayed definitely has a gift with the language. ( )
  dablackwood | May 21, 2013 |
For Brian Jay Lindstrom and in memory of my mother, Bobbi Anne Lambrecht, with love
She ached.

"Work hard. Do good. Be incredible!” That’s the advice Teresa Rae Wood gives the listeners of her popular local radio show, Modern Pioneers, and she has taken it to heart in her own life. She fled a bad marriage, escaping to Midden, Minnesota (pop. 408), where she fell in love with a carpenter who became a loving stepfather to her children, Claire and Joshua. Now Claire is away at college, Joshua is laboring through his senior year of high school, and Teresa and Bruce are working to make ends meet. Despite their struggles, their love for each other binds them as a family. Then they receive the devastating news that Teresa has cancer and at thirty-eight may have less than one year to live. Those she will leave behind face something previously unimaginable -- a future without her.

In Torch, the award-winning writer Cheryl Strayed creates from one family's shattering experience a novel infused with tenderness, compassion, and beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:02 -0400)

"Be incredible! That's the advice Teresa Rae Wood gives the listeners of her popular local radio show, Modern Pioneers!, a kind of hippie Prairie Home Companion, Teresa has taken the advice to heart in her own life. As a teen mother and abused wife, she escaped with her two children to rural Minnesota, fell in love with a local carpenter, and raised good kids, Claire and Joshua. Then, at only thirty-eight, she receives the devastating news that she is gravely ill. In just a few weeks, she is gone." "Infused with compassion and humor, Torch takes an unsentimental view of a family reeling from crisis. Claire drops out of college to devote herself to keeping her mother's memory alive back home. Joshua drifts out of high school and into trouble, keeping his grief silently private. Suddenly thrown into adulthood, they struggle to figure out how to connect in this new, unthinkable situation. Their one remaining ballast is Teresa's gentle common-law husband, Bruce. When Bruce announces news of his own plans, it comes as a chock not only to Claire and Joshua but also to the townspeople who have watched this unusual family grow and have come to love them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

276 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,936,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible