Valediction by Robert B. Parker

Valediction (1984)

by Robert B. Parker

Recently added byJulia.Reeb, private library, dm13, michaelstevens, amyem58, Hardboiled, junks

cult drug ring & transcontinental love

1.98
  aletheia21 | Oct 13, 2013 |
The most dangerous man to cross is the one who isn't afraid to die. But the most deadly is the one who doesn't have anything left to live for. Spenser has just lost the one woman who made life worth living. So when a religious sect kidnaps a pretty young dancer, no amount of death threats will make Spenser cut and run. Now a hitman's bullet has Spenser's name on it. But the bad guys have no idea how ready and willing Spenser is to meet death more than half way.

I enjoyed this book even though it was a little confusing towards the end. I sort of lost the thread a little. I gave it a B+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Feb 5, 2012 |
My second Parker book in less than a month, and it's a bit confusing. This one is the 11th in the Spenser series.

The mystery is intricate and clever and unexpected--Spenser is hired to rescue an actress who's been reportedly abducted by a cult. Finding her, figuring out what's going on, and who's behind it is a story that's full of twists and turns and just brilliant.

But then there's the personal story, and it's just way too close to the one in Trouble in Paradise, which is a different series, to allow me to enjoy it. Spenser's long-term girlfriend Susan has just been awarded her PhD, and has announced that she's moving to San Francisco. Whereupon they embark on the identical relationship as Jesse Stone and his ex-wife Jenn: obsessed with each other, unable to let each other go, but sleeping with other people and each other. It's identical, right down to the details of Spenser/Stone admitting to other lovers that he's still hoping to go back to Susan/Jenn eventually and being brave and stalwart in the face of emotional angst.

Really, I wouldn't have minded it--would probably have enjoyed it, even--in one book, or one series. And maybe it's my own fault for having read the two books in the same month. But putting identical "romantic" relationships in two different series makes me think that the author sees it as ideal or common, and I can't quite believe it's either.

Of course, Trouble in Paradise was written 14 years after Valediction, so if I'd read them when they were written, no doubt it wouldn't have bothered me at all. I'm still not sure why I read them in this order--normally, if I have more than one book by an author in my TBR pile, I'm almost obsessive about reading them in the order in which they were written.

Ah, well. Water under the bridge. I still liked this, and I'll still read more Parker books. I think I'll just be a little more careful about trying to read them in order from now on. ( )
  Darla | Nov 22, 2008 |
Spenser tries to save girl from cult church ( )
  brendawhisonant | Aug 20, 2006 |
Dull sublunary lovers' love (Whose soul is sense) cannot admit Absence, because it doth remove Those things that elemented it.
John Donne, A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning
For Joan, like gold to airy thinness beat
There were at least three kinds of cops in Harvard Yard...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440192463, Mass Market Paperback)

The most dangerous man to cross is one who isn't afraid to die. But the most deadly is one who doesn't want to live. And Spenser has just lost the woman who made life his #1 priority.

So when a religious sect kidnaps a pretty young dancer, no death threat can make Spenser cut and run. Now a hit man's bullet is wearing Spenser's name. But Boston's big boys don't know Spenser's ready and willing to meet death more than halfway.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:39 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible