When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A…

When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young…

by Lynne Cheney

The illustrations and text work wonderfully together - telling the backstory behind why Washington's troops crossed the Delaware River on an icy Christmas night. This book would be a nice addition to a textbook account of the Battle of Trenton and its importance. ( )
  marci.glessner | Feb 16, 2016 |
While perusing this book, I see that it is an easy read for elementary students to follow. There aren't many sentences on each page and each sentence is short. It is a good book for students to get a little background information on Washington and his troops and how they fought for their freedom and didn't give up.
The author provides sources from the book. ( )
  ALGuerra | Mar 18, 2014 |
General Washington and his men withstood cold and hunger but did not quit their fight their fight for freedom. This is a wintertime story for yound patriots.
  SABC | Nov 20, 2011 |

-- Lynne Cheney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

"This is the story that I tell my grandchildren at Christmas. I hope that this book will bring the tradition of sharing history to families all across America." -- Lynne Cheney Christmas night, 1776, was a troubled time for our young country. In the six months since the Declaration of Independence had been signed, General George Washington and his troops had suffered defeat after defeat at the hands of the British. It looked as though our struggle for independence might be doomed, when Washington made a bold decision. He would lead the main body of his army across the Delaware River and launch a surprise attack on enemy forces. Washington and his men were going against the odds. It seemed impossible that the ragtag Americans could succeed against the mightiest power in the world. But the men who started across the icy Delaware loved their country and their leader. Under his command they would turn the tide of battle and change the course of history. Best-selling author Lynne Cheney tells the dramatic story of the military campaign that began on Christmas night in 1776. When Washington Crossed the Delaware will teach the young about the heroism, persistence, and patriotism of those who came before them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible