The Case of the Singing Sword by Tee Morris

The Case of the Singing Sword

by Tee Morris

If you think the idea of mixing the classic detective-genre novel (think Rex Stout, or any other tale where all the broads look like Jessica Rabbit, and a private dick's best friends are his piece and a bottle of liquor stashed in his desk...) with classic genre fantasy (dwarves, elves, and enchanted talismans) is just the most brilliant concept you've heard of all week, well, then this might be the book for you.
Falling through a Portal of Oblivion and landing in Al Capone's Chicago, a Dwarf Warrior decides to set himself up in practice as a private investigator. Acquiring the requisite babe secretary/receptionist, he's soon approached by not one but two society ladies, and embroiled in a case involving the mob up to his not-so-high-off-the-ground neck. When he realizes that the case also involves a dangerous magical sword that came from his original homeworld, he knows he has to solve it – or else this world could be destroyed.
Adequately done, competently written, in a very 1930's-style, I can see where some people would think this book was just hilarious – but it wasn't really my cup of tea. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Billibub gets sucked into this universe into the world of mobster run Chicago in 1929. Along with him there are artifacts from his world that are going to cause trouble, he feels he has to do something about it. He works as a detective on the mean streets and the story reads like fantasy meets classic detective fiction. I enjoyed the read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 24, 2011 |
Billibub Baddings is an ax yielding dwarf of Gryfennos who finds himself accidentally dropped into a library of the human world...of Chicago after falling into a portal. He teaches himself the language and catches up on current events. Along with the reading in the library to get to know the world he is now in, he enjoyed the fiction stories of Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes. Then trying to figure out what work to do, he figured with his military skills as a dwarf and what he loved he would be a private investigator. He's been here for a few years and doing okay in the business. But this month is a slow month, thinking on making the call to an old associate to make a few extra bucks as dressing up as a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz. But as he was readying himself to make the humiliating call, a tall woman from the prominent family in Chicago walks through the door with a case ~ wondering why her boyfriend is now deceased from a hit by whom they suspect, Al Capone.

I enjoyed this book as it was a new blend for me. Our setting here is the late 1920's in Chicago during the mobster era of the big names; Al "Scarface" Capone and George "Bugs" Moran. With a mystery detective take on the story. But the best part was the blend of the fantasy world Billibub comes from. Not only does Tee create a great feel for the late 1920's with the accents and particular words popular then, but he creates a whole fantasy realm through Billibub's metaphors and similes to his home world from his memories.

I was really surprised how great these two worlds blended together. These are two places I would never have thought to blend. I have to say as I don't get to visit Billibub's world much as he is living in Chicago, but I would liked what pieces I did get of it and wished I could see more of it. But, Billibub has created himself here in Chicago in a great way. And all the short jokes, he takes with stride (most of the time).

I enjoyed the mystery/detective side of the story as well as it ends up being blended with the fantasy world as well. Very nice take on this. I have to say I enjoyed the piece on his ax and weapons. This did bring a smile to my face the first time it was really approached in the story with the visitors in his office. I know there is one other book with Billibub, and I'm curious to see if Tee comes out with more.

This is a book to read if you enjoy the 1920's or 1930's feel, mystery/detective storyline, with a grace of fantasy through the book and mystery itself. ( )
1 vote MelHay | Apr 25, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible