The Body on the Beach by Simon Brett

The Body on the Beach (2000)

by Simon Brett

Recently added byflu1918, TheRavenking, kmtoomey, private library, solver10, Eisler, elhill1949, EdJWebb, njcur, dyanny66

I liked this book a lot. 3 and a half stars. I enjoyed the characters. I hope Simon Brett will do another with these folks. I'd like to know what they do next. This was very well read. Blackstone Audio consistently has great readers. I did anticipate some plot twists that made me think I may have read this before.

I'm entering the books I read from my reading log. I found that I read this in 2008. I liked it then too! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I like Simon Brett and was pleased to find this series. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
Carole Seddon is not someone I’d like to meet in real life. In her 50′s and retired from a job in the Home Office she has established a very orderly life for herself in the village of Fethering. She has a long list of rules about what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviours and seems to judge people on the most insignificant of factors. As this book opens she is walking her dog Gulliver on the beach when they discover a body. After making her way home and washing the dog Carole notifies the Police but when they look in the spot Carole has described there is no body. Being a little shocked at finding a body and at having been treated like a silly old lady by the Police, Carole takes the unusual step of talking to her new neighbour about the events.

Jude (just Jude, no surname) is the woman who has moved in next door to Carole and is her complete opposite in terms of personality. She has no set rules for acceptable behaviour as can be evidenced by her ordering large glasses of wine (sometimes at lunch time) and beating her rugs in the front garden! But though Jude isn’t ‘a Fethering sort of person at all’ she listens to Carole and doesn’t think she’s crazy so the two women embark on a friendship of sorts and decide to investigate what happened to the body they are both convinced that Carole saw. Through a series of orchestrated meetings with key players in the village they start to build up a picture of what might have gone on.

As the setting is described in a fair amount of detail the story here is slow to get going but once it does there’s a nice build up of suspense, though the plot is not terribly difficult to work out for people who’ve read a lot of crime fiction. However if English village mysteries are your thing then I think you’d really enjoy this book as Brett has done a great job of depicting the place and its various characters so that not all is as idyllic as it might first appear. Somewhat unusually for this kind of story the motive for murder and associated covering up activities is really very credible when finally revealed.

There are a further 11 books (so far) in this series and because there are hints that Carole’s very prim and proper personality might be weakening towards the end of this book I could be tempted to read another if for no other reason than to find out if she does join the human race after all. The Body on the Beach certainly has decent plotting, an intricately drawn setting and credible, if not likable, characters to recommend it as a promising start to a series. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
I liked this book at the beginning. The community sounded interesting. I liked Carole! and I found that connection between Carole and Jude potentially interesting. But as the book evolved I just wanted it to be over. I am not sure what it was that was missing. ( )
  jour149 | Aug 14, 2012 |
Really enjoyable weekend's read. I'd been looking for some entertainment and having heard a snatch of this on Radio 4 Extra I was delighted to find it in the library.
Forgive the pun in the opening sentence of this novel, it gets better. There must be a reason why I suddenly enjoyed reading about a heroine in her early fifties, recently retired, but I just can't quite put my finger on it.
Forgive also, the moment when the plot falls apart because the criminal's motivation just doesn't seem plausible.
I'll look out for other books by this author - and there are lots of them! ( )
  janetf8 | Mar 26, 2012 |
To Keith
who knows this
part of the world
(and many others)
Fethering is on the South Coast, not far from Tarring.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425181820, Mass Market Paperback)

"A pair of sleuths who are winning enough to make the reader invite them back for more....Holmes and Watson with a dash of Laurel and Hardy." (Toronto Star)

"An impressive debut, marked by the usual attention to wit and detail." (Library Journal)

"The characters are wonderful, and their silliness quite engrossing." (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Sensible Carole Seddon doesn't have the tolerance to deal with her new bohemian neighbor, Jude. But Jude doesn't seem so bad when Carole discovers another addition to the neighborhood-a dead body on the beach bearing two wounds on its neck.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:37 -0400)

Very little disturbs the ordered calm of the Fethering retirement settlement. The last thing Carole expects to encounter is a new neighbour with a colourful past - and a body on the beach, which disappears before the police arrive.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,352,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible