Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker…

Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality

by J. Brent Bill

Not every way of finding the Divine Source fits everyone. Having said that, I can joyously claim that Quaker spirituality resonates with me. Bill's book took me more deeply within than have most current books. He stops at appropriate times and guides the reader to experience a deeper sense of the silence. He adds a welcome glossary at the end, along with a list of quite profound queries. Finally, he gives an added gift of an annotated bibliography.

Two quotes that encapsulates the flavor of the book are:
1) "Holy silence gives us a way to be with others, helping them wrestle with the large questions of life--why this, why me, why them, why now, why God?" (51).
2) "The apostle Paul's exhortation 'not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think' also carries the subtle suggestion that we should think RIGHTLY of ourselves....learning to care for ourselves" (56). ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 4, 2017 |
A brief overview of the practice of silence in the quaker contemplative tradition. Six chapters, punctuated by 'quietude queries' (short questions to mull over in silence) and discussions of quiet and silence in quaker practice. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
"J. Brent Bill is recognized as one of the most important communicators of the spirituality of the Quaker tradition today (from the back cover)>" ( )
  strawberrycreekmtg | Jan 16, 2014 |
Interesting review of Quaker spirituality and worship as it compares to the more traditional forms. ( )
  wrmjr66 | Sep 9, 2008 |
People of all faiths and backgrounds are drawn to silence. We yearn for it in these busy and difficult times, but often, when silence becomes available, we don't know what to do with it.

For centuries, Quakers have taught that when we are silent, God grants us insights, guidance, and spiritual understanding that is different from what we might realize in our noisy, everyday lives. This book invites readers to discover this and other unique gifts of the Quaker way. It is a satisfying experience and taste of a spiritual tradition unflinching in its dedication to listening for the sounds and voice of God ( )
  brentbil | Feb 2, 2007 |

An eloquent introduction to Quaker spirituality---for all who are seeking a fresh approach to God.

J. Brent Bill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,558,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible