Olivia Forms a Band by Ian Falconer

Olivia Forms a Band (2006)

by Ian Falconer

Series: Olivia (4)

Olivia is a pig full of creativity along with a typical child's imagination. It is full of real life pictures and animated ones too. Olivia decides that the fireworks she is going to later needs a band and this keeps her busy most of the day. By the time she needs to leave she is interested in other things, just like most children.
  OliviaJacobson | Sep 10, 2016 |
Sorry, I just don't see the appeal. I mean, I think back when my sons were little, and of course there were times when they behaved & believed in a similar manner - but that scrap of resonance would not have persuaded us to keep reading of Olivia's adventures. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In another wonderful addition to the "Olivia" arsenal, Falconer has developed a story about creativity and music through the sassy swine protagonist. Olivia and her family are going to watch fireworks, and Olivia inquires about the band. She then goes onto explain that there must be a band, so she takes it upon herself to be that band. Through clanging and honking, Olivia forms her one pig band, which she ultimately swaps for some bold red lipstick when her family leaves for the fireworks. Unlike some of the other Olivia books, I felt that "Olivia Forms a Band" was a very wholesome and real story. It didn't involve jetting off to Venice or saving a circus, moreover it was very reminiscent of my own ADHD fueled antics as a child. It was a great example of a fantasy because it put that real and simple story into an impossible reality of talking pigs, making it both relatable and entertaining for children. I could see myself using this in a classroom when talking about the 4th of July, or when teaching about music.
Media: Charcoal & Gouache ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Apr 15, 2016 |
Olivia Forms a Band starts off with Olivia wanting to form a band for the fireworks show. Her mother says there has to be more than one person in the band so Olivia goes on a mission. She gets something from each family member to use it to make her band. To her mother's astonishment, Olivia made an outfit that had multiple instruments connected. She was able to whistle, play the drums and piano, and ring a bell all at the same time. Olivia decides not her bring her band to the fireworks, but put makeup on instead. She puts on red lipstick and in Olivia's mind it looks perfectly applied but when she shows her mother it really is smeared all over her mouth. I thought it was interesting how the illustrator showed Olvia's makeup applied perfectly while she looks in the mirror but a mess when her mother sees it. They go the fireworks and have a great time. When they get home, Olivia's mom hears noise, but when she goes into Olivia's room she is fast asleep dreaming about being a Supreme Court Justice. I think this book it great for kids to read. It teaches them to always dream big and try to achieve their goals. Olivia doesn't let anything stand in her way and neither should you. The illustrations are fantastic. While very simple, the illustrator inserts photographs of real bands and fireworks in the middle of his drawings. In the picture of the Supreme Court Justices he used a real photo of them, but inserted Olivia in it. I think that was extremely clever. Also lets kids know who they are and what they look like. This book contains a sheet of music which is also great to help kids be exposed to music sheets. Then in the scene where Olivia is getting things from each family member, there are no words only pictures. This great is great for children to read and full of clever inserts. ( )
  mamontgomery | Mar 7, 2016 |
I believe this book is appropriate for younger elementary classrooms such as kindergarten or first grade. This book could be used as a read aloud to teach a music lesson as the main character in the book forms her own band. After reading the book, I could have my students form their own band and play numerous different instruments while learning about the different types and sections of music.
  Emily.Clark | Feb 13, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141692454X, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Everyone's favorite Caldecott Honor-winning porcine diva is back and with fanfare! There are going to be fireworks tonight, and Olivia can hardly wait to hear the band. But when she finds out that there isn't going to be a band, she can't understand why not. How can there be fireworks without a band?! And so Olivia sets to putting a band together herself... all by herself. Using pots, pans, her brother's toys, and even her father's suspenders, Olivia forms a band spectacular enough to startle any audience. Lavishly brought to life in Ian Falconer's signature style, and introducing an eye-catching shade of blue, here is Olivia doing what Olivia does best--making noise

Exclusive Art from Ian Falconer's Olivia Forms a Band

Why wasn't this picture included in the book? Here's a look inside the creation of a blockbuster picture book.

There were 60 images selected for Olivia Forms a Band out of over 70 pieces of art submitted by Olivia creator Ian Falconer. Sixty images may sound like a lot, but many pages are filled with multiple depictions of our porcine heroine. For instance, when you look at the page where Olivia is removing Daddy's suspenders, this page has nine separate drawings. On the other hand, the glorious fireworks scenes are all composed of one piece of art per page.

For this particular image of Olivia provided exclusively for Amazon.com customers, Falconer didn't feel like this artwork captured Olivia's true character. However, many people in-house at Simon & Schuster loved the picture and thought it was typical of a 5-year-old playing with her mother's lipstick. While there's a lot to love in this picture, Ian Falconer after all is the man behind Olivia. He knows better than anyone what makes something up to "Olivia standards." Sometimes that is as simple as being able to know which image works best for a particular moment in the book. In this instance Falconer felt the drawings that were used in the final book served the scene better, and with that this one was left on the cutting room floor.

All About Olivia

Teatro Olivia

Olivia... and the Missing Toy
Olivia Saves the Circus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:29 -0400)

Olivia decides there has to be a marching band at the fireworks display, even if she has to do it herself.

81 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,846,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible