Olivia Forms a Band by Ian Falconer

Olivia Forms a Band (2006)

by Ian Falconer

Series: Olivia (4)

This a great for children and the whole family. This a story about a girl name Olivia who wants to start a band but in the end she is in the band all by herself. Eventually she exhausts herself because she played all the instruments by herself and sleeps soundly. ( )
  Alexgirl16 | Nov 5, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. In the book, Olivia and her family are going to see the fireworks and Olivia is upset because there isn't going to be a band to go along with the fireworks. After her family doesn't volunteer to be in her band, she decides to make a one man band. She gathers items from all over her house and practices all day, much to her family's dismay. When it is time to go to the fireworks, Olivia decides to not bring her band, but to enjoy the beauty of the fireworks. The main idea of this story is that you don't always need a bunch of extra things to make something special. Sometimes it's nice to just enjoy something on its own. I really liked the illustrations in this book because they perfectly showed how I imagine in my head how Olivia and her family members' facial expressions were. When Olivia is practicing, her face is so happy and determined, and her mom, dad, and brothers' faces look like "Oh no when is this going to stop?" Besides the fact that she's a pig, Olivia is believable. She takes things very literally and has quite the imagination. For example, when her mom tells her that one person can't be a band and even the word band sounds like more than one person, Olivia informs her, "This morning you told me I sounded like five people." I feel that is exactly what a child would say. ( )
  ejones35 | Oct 31, 2016 |
Olivia is a pig full of creativity along with a typical child's imagination. It is full of real life pictures and animated ones too. Olivia decides that the fireworks she is going to later needs a band and this keeps her busy most of the day. By the time she needs to leave she is interested in other things, just like most children.
  OliviaJacobson | Sep 10, 2016 |
Sorry, I just don't see the appeal. I mean, I think back when my sons were little, and of course there were times when they behaved & believed in a similar manner - but that scrap of resonance would not have persuaded us to keep reading of Olivia's adventures. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In another wonderful addition to the "Olivia" arsenal, Falconer has developed a story about creativity and music through the sassy swine protagonist. Olivia and her family are going to watch fireworks, and Olivia inquires about the band. She then goes onto explain that there must be a band, so she takes it upon herself to be that band. Through clanging and honking, Olivia forms her one pig band, which she ultimately swaps for some bold red lipstick when her family leaves for the fireworks. Unlike some of the other Olivia books, I felt that "Olivia Forms a Band" was a very wholesome and real story. It didn't involve jetting off to Venice or saving a circus, moreover it was very reminiscent of my own ADHD fueled antics as a child. It was a great example of a fantasy because it put that real and simple story into an impossible reality of talking pigs, making it both relatable and entertaining for children. I could see myself using this in a classroom when talking about the 4th of July, or when teaching about music.
Media: Charcoal & Gouache ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Apr 15, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141692454X, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Everyone's favorite Caldecott Honor-winning porcine diva is back and with fanfare! There are going to be fireworks tonight, and Olivia can hardly wait to hear the band. But when she finds out that there isn't going to be a band, she can't understand why not. How can there be fireworks without a band?! And so Olivia sets to putting a band together herself... all by herself. Using pots, pans, her brother's toys, and even her father's suspenders, Olivia forms a band spectacular enough to startle any audience. Lavishly brought to life in Ian Falconer's signature style, and introducing an eye-catching shade of blue, here is Olivia doing what Olivia does best--making noise

Exclusive Art from Ian Falconer's Olivia Forms a Band

Why wasn't this picture included in the book? Here's a look inside the creation of a blockbuster picture book.

There were 60 images selected for Olivia Forms a Band out of over 70 pieces of art submitted by Olivia creator Ian Falconer. Sixty images may sound like a lot, but many pages are filled with multiple depictions of our porcine heroine. For instance, when you look at the page where Olivia is removing Daddy's suspenders, this page has nine separate drawings. On the other hand, the glorious fireworks scenes are all composed of one piece of art per page.

For this particular image of Olivia provided exclusively for Amazon.com customers, Falconer didn't feel like this artwork captured Olivia's true character. However, many people in-house at Simon & Schuster loved the picture and thought it was typical of a 5-year-old playing with her mother's lipstick. While there's a lot to love in this picture, Ian Falconer after all is the man behind Olivia. He knows better than anyone what makes something up to "Olivia standards." Sometimes that is as simple as being able to know which image works best for a particular moment in the book. In this instance Falconer felt the drawings that were used in the final book served the scene better, and with that this one was left on the cutting room floor.

All About Olivia

Teatro Olivia

Olivia... and the Missing Toy
Olivia Saves the Circus
Olivia

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:29 -0400)

Olivia decides there has to be a marching band at the fireworks display, even if she has to do it herself.

81 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,672,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible